Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! A few years ago I had to sell both my mountain bikes to cover some unexpected expenses. It took me about five years to recover financially and get myself a new bike (a 2017 Cannondale Trial 1). Fortunately enough, I am now in a position to get a second bike!

Where I live there are very few elevations and single tracks. It is mostly country road, tarmac, and a lot of gravel roads. So, I thought a gravel bike would be a great choice.

The problem is, the availability of bikes (or anything, really) is very limited in my country. Everything is way more expensive, and there aren't many options to choose from, and usually, the ones you can find are models from previous years. There is no such thing as "got to Amazon or eBay" or "check out this super big chain of bikes".

Anyways, I'm not here to complain about it, just giving some context as to why I picked up these models:
And... that's about it! These are all the gravel bikes I can afford and was able to find (in both online and local stores, of course).

I'm not really familiar with road/gravel group sets, but a quick google search showed up that any of those should be fine, at least for recreational use.
Most of them come with mechanical brakes. I remember a few years ago (around 2005ish) these weren't really good. Are hydraulic breaks still a must-have?

Other than that, what should I be looking at? Are any of these bikes bad, or really good?

Thank you very much for any advice you may have!
Cheers!

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I would compare fit before parts and materials. There are sites like Bike Insights and Geometry Geeks to aid that and you can make spreadsheets. You for sure want to know reach, stack and other important fit specifications.

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
Get the one that could fit the biggest tires. I believe the Diverge is limited on tire size and is more of a 'all- road" than a gravel bike. Depending on terrain, I'd see if which one, if any, fit a 40c tire or larger.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your replies! Truly appreciate it!

I also found a dealer that sells 2021 Giant Revolt 1 and Advanced 3 (carbon fiber), with a really good price point (cheaper than any other bike I mentioned earlier).

The Revolt Advanced 3 seems to be very well equipped for the price, but I'm really unsure about the carbon frame. I never rode a carbon bike, I'm frightened that it will eventually break. I'm not particularly a harsh rider, and logic dictates that if every manufacturer makes their top-end bikes from carbon fiber it should be good, but I'm scared to death to break the frame with a rock or something.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Tough call on carbon, I ride it on my MTB and am not afraid, but if I were concerned with finance, replacement, Id have to think about it. If reputable, it won't break from normal use, usually only crashing. Kicking up rocks, if you put a good downtube protector, should be good.
Cable brakes are not bad, but I am so used to hydros I personally wouldn't use anything else by choice. But how available in your country are supplies to service them?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Accidentally deleted my reply. Let's start over!

Availability over here is hit and miss: common brands and low/mid-tier components are somewhat available. More specific or high-end brands are really hard to find, sometimes not even available at all. From a financial point of view, not going to lie, breaking a carbon frame would be such a bummer, but over the span of a year, I could save enough to replace it.

I called the local Giant dealer, and apparently, they offer a lifetime warranty on their frames. That's good! Moreover, it seems that the Revolt Advanced 3 has a plastic downtube protector (as you can see on this YouTube video). According to the official page specifications, it also is equipped with Shimano GRX RX400 hydraulic brakes. On that note, I totally agree with you: hard to use cable brakes after using hydraulic ones.

Finally, I'm not a harsh rider. I mostly ride on flat roads (hardpack, tarmac, gravel, grass). I do not expect to use this bike to jump around, technical tracks, or anything like it. For that, I have my mountain bike. What worries me is if the frame would be strong enough to use some panniers for mid-distance traveling. According to the local Giant representative, it should be fine.

Anyways, I'm seriously considering this bike for the following reasons: it is within my budget, it is reasonably well equipped, and more importantly, it is in stock for my size.

Thanks!

·
Registered
161 Posts
All of these look like pretty good bikes to be... I would choose to go for the Shimano GRX groupset if you can get it. This would be the Specialized Diverge Elite (2020) or the Giant Revolt. The Giant comes with a 38c tire and for gravel, wider is better. Also the composite frame would be nice for the compliance.... the Giant is what I would go with.

Also re: carbon sturdiness is great... I frequently ride my 2012 Cannondale SuperX and have had it for years without issues. I have taken it on some pretty gnarly single track.. and its still going strong... get some helicopter tape or clear frame protector and enjoy a better feeling, lighter bike.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
3,082 Posts
Was looking which ones have threaded and which ones have press fit bb’s.
Press fit would be deal breaker for me but I think only the Treks say actually that they are threaded.
Cannondale has a tapered square which is a bit surprising to me but I also did not say what type of bb they use.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Was looking which ones have threaded and which ones have press fit bb's.
Press fit would be deal breaker for me but I think only the Treks say actually that they are threaded.
Cannondale has a tapered square which is a bit surprising to me but I also did not say what type of bb they use.
Do you mind explaining why you wouldn't want a press-fit bottom bracket? Honest question, I'm not that familiar with the pros/const of each system. Thanks!

·
Evolutionsverlierer
3,082 Posts
Do you mind explaining why you wouldn't want a press-fit bottom bracket? Honest question, I'm not that familiar with the pros/const of each system. Thanks!
While both can creak the threaded one is an easy fix.
For me it is just one less thing to worry about.

Some more info in this thread.

Fingers crossed that you find a bike that you like and fits you.

·
EDR
10,792 Posts
Not hating on Giant at as all manufactures/bikes have some frame issues but there are some recent issues with frame cracks and PF bottom brackets. Around page 56. Likely only a few out of thousands but who knows...worth a read

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
My new bike has TRP Spyre mech brakes. After many years on BB7's, and then a few years on hydro's, I was planning on switching the TRP's out right away, but damn, they are impressive.
As others have mentioned, getting the bike that can handle the widest tire is helpful for making the bike adaptable.

·
At Work
1,855 Posts
I have a 2019 Revolt Adv 1. Zero issues with PF. Have a 2015 Trek Fuel with PF and zero issues........ You will not go wrong with the Revolt. Same would be said for the Diverge or Topstone. All good bikes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.