Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after getting a taste for the MTB thrill (using a comfort bike) I went to a LBS and bought a new Trek X-Caliber 6. I am so X-cited! took it on a new to me trail and had a blast! I was going to go with an X-Caliber 4 for $550 but the LBS had my grey X-Cal 6 for just $680 (but the maroon was $750, weird). and with Trek's sale this weekend I used my $50 store credit on a seat bag, spare tube, patch kit and levers.

so I have a few of questions..

1. is my bike good for 10 miles rides through my local neighborhood?
2. if I am lucky enough to use my new bike on 10 mile neighborhood tours, I need a better seat. should I upgrade the whole seat, or is a gel cover better?
3. can anyone suggest an affordable kickstand?
4. is ok to hang in garage with this type hanger ?

thanks !!!

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Nice man - I just watched your video and you were tearing it up on that comfort bike - I was going to suggest just putting some fatter tires on it and keeping at it til you can upgrade, but I guess you jumped right in. That's awesome - I can tell from the way you were riding that you're likely to have a really good time on a decent bike.

That bike is fine for 100 mile rides through your neighborhood.
Get a good seat that fits you. Might be worth going through a good local shop. I would give the one that's currently on there some time first though - you don't want to slap a big cushy thing on there, even though it might seem that way right now. Ride it as is for a month or two - there's a good reason for seats being smaller than seems comfortable at first. A little trail time and it'll start to feel better.
No kickstand.
You can hang a bike any way you please.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts