Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Long time reader/lurker on this forum but figured it was about time to join the discussions since I've purchased a legitimate bike finally and have been spending more and more time on the trails!

·
Shartacular Spectacular
441 Posts
Welcome! Where yah from, whatchya ridin?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! Where yah from, whatchya ridin?
I live in SE Michigan and I have a 2008 Gary Fisher Wahoo hardtail and a 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy 3 (R Aluminum ) in 27.5+. The latter is my trail bike, the former has been on a few trails but is mostly for riding around town with the family.

IMG_4329 copy.jpg

IMG_4444.jpg

·
Cycologist
7,242 Posts
Well alright then. What do you want to discuss?

As your first photo says, welcome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well alright then. What do you want to discuss?

As your first photo says, welcome.
To be honest I posted this "hello" post because the forum made me before I could post my question (with photos) in another area of the forum. ;) In the Santa Cruz sub forum under the Tallboy 3 photos area I put up photos of my Tallboy as well as asking why/how my bike comes with SRAM hubs (says SRAM on them) when all specs online for my bike show its supposed to have Novatec's. I never really paid a lot of attention to the hub specs or brand until I started looking at a new set of 29" wheels to use occasionally on my bike, it was at the point I realized mine aren't what they are supposed to be. Based on the feedback I've seen on this forum it sounds like there have been a lot of issues with the Novatec's so It sounds like a good thing I somehow got something different than that. I'm guessing best course of action is to see if Santa Cruz themselves can explain what exactly they are...

·
Wanna ride bikes?
8,562 Posts
In the Santa Cruz sub forum under the Tallboy 3 photos area I put up photos of my Tallboy as well as asking why/how my bike comes with SRAM hubs (says SRAM on them) when all specs online for my bike show its supposed to have Novatec's. I never really paid a lot of attention to the hub specs or brand until I started looking at a new set of 29" wheels to use occasionally on my bike, it was at the point I realized mine aren't what they are supposed to be. Based on the feedback I've seen on this forum it sounds like there have been a lot of issues with the Novatec's so It sounds like a good thing I somehow got something different than that. I'm guessing best course of action is to see if Santa Cruz themselves can explain what exactly they are...
Companies make running changes all the time. The updates often aren't changed on the online spec sheet.

I wouldn't worry about getting clarification on what hubs they are. It doesn't matter, they're just stock hubs. Wether they're Novatec, Sram, Formula, Joytec, whatever, it's a basic hub.

They're probably better than the Novatec hubs which I've been reading a lot of failures are still occurring. The Sram hubs are what they are. Ride them till they die or you decide it's time for an upgrade, then build good wheels.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,962 Posts
I'd suggest you defer to Picard regarding your most pressing matters out here.
Is he even around anymore? I thought he went in to one of his infamous hibernations for awhile again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts