Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Quick intro - My name is Rich and I am a life long Alaskan. Never really been much into biking as an adult. Of course, as a kid and teen, we biked everywhere. I always had a beater 20" BMX style bike and then had a 26" Tired Mountain Bike. Nothing special, just something from Fred Meyer or Costco.

A few years back, around the early 2000's, I bought a used Specialized Hardrock and ran that for a few years. Nothing serious, just around the neighborhoods and some packed trails. I never got rid of the bike, but it has deteriorated over the years and needed a full tune up and new tires.

Well, thanks to our little 7.1 Earthquake back in November, a truck camper shell was knocked off the truck and landed on my bike. So, at the minimum, I would now be replacing the wheels along with the full tune up and tires.

A week ago, my wife decided she wanted to give biking a shot. She went to Wally World and picked out a bike for herself and two of the kids (they seem to outgrow them every year...) and I ordered a pull-behind bike for the 4 year old. For me, I could either fix up the Specialized, which I don't have time to do, or start looking for a decent used bike.
I decided to start looking for a used bike, because I figured I could spend the same amount of money as a Wally World bike and come up with a decent, used higher quality bike.
Unfortunately, I am away from home at a remote job site and haven't been able to hit the pavement looking for one. Browsing Craigslist, I found a pretty nice Novara Bonanza. I had it set up for my wife to go look at it and most likely buy it, but it was about an hour drive away.
That same day, I guess my brother-in-law mentioned to my wife that he had a bike for sale too. She sent me a picture and it looked pretty clean, so I said sure, I'll take it. From looking on the net, it looks to be a 2007-2008 Diamondback Response. If it was two private sellers, side by side, I probably would have chosen the Novara, but I am sure the DB will serve my needs sufficiently.

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork

I am not a huge fan of the color, I am not a bright color kinda guy.

I was hoping to find and try a bike with disc brakes, but it looks like this is what I'll be riding for awhile.

It should be pretty fun to get back into it and should provide some good times for me an my 10 year old son to ride some light trails. I will be picking the bike up when I get home next week.

BTW - I am a member of a few different truck sites, but it is amazing the amount of bike information on this site!!!

·
Rider
172 Posts
Good for you! I did something similar, pulled my old Specialized out and fixed it up a bit. Started riding a lot more, bought a new to me 2019 Salsa and upped my riding even more. When I was a kid my bike was my transportation. Now it is my escape and I think I enjoy it even more than when I was younger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am still on the fence about the Diamondback.

Any thoughts whether the Diamondback Response or the Novara Bonanza is a better bike?

I know the Bonanza has disc brakes, which was a plus to me.

But I know the Response has had very little use since new and my brother-in-law is meticulous about keeping his stuff clean.

Decisions, decisions... :)

·
Rider
172 Posts
I don't know enough about either to help out. I know I prefer disk brakes though. Why? I think they are just cooler, but to be honest, in 50 years of riding bikes I have never had a problem with rim brakes, coaster brakes or disk brakes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.