1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides trying them out, which I will do, I've narrowed my search down a bit

I like the

Giant XTC 29er 2 $ 1300

Would love to find a 2010 XTC 29er 1 or 2. Can't around here, Washington DC area.

But I am wondering, I saw a Scott Elite 29er in an XL frame for $ 1500, that is the absolute top of my price range, and wondering if anyone had any input on this bike.

I also like the components on the GT Karakoram, just can not stand the Green and Gold. horrible. But for $ 1000 it's a nice bike.

Anyone have another other suggestions? The Gary Fisher X-Cal is out for the pirce.

I'm looking for a 29er, in an XL frame, hydraulic brakes, good front air shock, and the cheaper the better. I dont't mind looking at other brands. For what it's worth I'm 6'4" 250lbs. Thanks,

Any help is appreicated it, and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I'd definitely recommend the XTC 29er if you can find an XL. I just checked Giant's dealer site and they show that they should be available in about 4 weeks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Other alternatives.

Performance Bike Access XCL 9.7 now for 1,200. X7, Tora Fork, Avid Elixir hydaulic brakes w 185 in front, 719 rims w Schwalbe tires.

Sette Razzo 2.0 1,300 until tuesday. X7 w X9 rear deraileur, Reba Race RL fork, Avid Elixir hydraulic brakes, 719 rims w Kenda tires.

Both seem to be very well equipped for the price.

·
Registered
73 Posts
X Cal

Not to be a dick, but Cobia doesn't have the same frame as the Paragon.. same as X Cal though and I agree with Mr. Bucktown that Cobia is a great choice for a Hardtail in that price range. And as an aside, if you are only looking at the Cobia on the Trek website photos, do yourself a favor and see it in person. The burnt orange looks great vs. that weird yellow thing they show online. X Cal looks much better in person also, but I guess most bikes do!

I managed to get my X Cal for $1300, but that was December. Haven't checked recently and I see prices have jumped online.

IMHO you could not go wrong with the Giant XTC or the two aforementioned Fisher bikes. I love my X-Cal, looks great and performs as I expected. There are things about the Giant bikes that might win me over, but for me it came down in part to my LBS. Great guys and for me it was the difference.:D

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
You could try the Felt Nine Sport ($949). Use the difference to upgrade some of the lower end components.

I have the Race and absolutely love the bike! Fast, quick and comfortable. I spent 7 days on it last year riding 215 miles from Durango to Moab last summer and was comfortable the whole time!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.