Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I purchased an entry level bike, as I am on entry level for SS.

After what felt like the longest wait ever, my '05 HardRock SS has shown up. I ordered it late last month, and there was some kind of shipping problem that resulted in the bike going to North Carolina (for some odd reason) before coming to California.

It's a bit tankier than I was expecting, weighing in at 30+lbs. The wheels make up a good portion of the weight though, with the Sun DitchWitch being a pretty meaty looking rim, and the 2.2" Specialized Enduros looking pretty heavy in themselves (total weight for the front wheel with skewer was 6lbs). The brakes are newer versions of the Tektro IOs than I've dealt with before, but don't seem to be all that different. I'm excited and hope to get some trail time in this weekend (too much stuff going on before the weekend, unfortunately :\)

The '05 is a major rework over the '04 from what I remeber seeing. It has horizontal dropouts and a solid rear axle instead of QR and a tensioner. The disc brakes included are Tektro IOs (which aren't the best, but they're okay), and the MZ isn't the worst fork I've ever seen.

In 2006, if I stick with the singlespeed, I may look in to upgrading/lightening components, or in to replacing the bicycle. It's frightening that my SS hardtail weighs as much as my 27 speed FS bike (mod Ibex Ignition-2). Kind of makes me wonder how much the regular Hardrock weighs.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I picked up the '04 version cheap early last month cuz I was interested in SS'ing. So far I love it. But I don't think it knows what it really wants to be. Urban? DJ? Trail? I don't do urban and I have yet to try DJ'ing (but I want to!!!), so most of my rides on the bike have been up in the Boise Foothills or Owyhee mountains.

The geometry on the bike is different than the other geared MTB's I've had. I've got a 15" and the cockpit feels just a smidge small. I think the head angle is slightly more relaxed than my other bikes as well, but really haven't looked into it.

Yes the bike is bit of a porker (but I don't think mine is in the 30 pound range :eek: ), but I think that goes back to not really knowing what it wants to be. My only guess as to why it's heavy is so that it can handle DJ'ing and urban stuff.

My bike originally was 32x16, but there was no way in hell I could do ride that around here. I ordered a 20t, but the wrong kind came in, so I ended up sticking an 18t back there. So far so good. It does require some hammering on the pedals to get up hills, but so far it's performed well. Still debating on running a 20t. I HATE HATE HATE the spinning on pavement...not that I ride alot on pavement.

I also put on a Singleator in place of the stock tensioner.

The '04s had problems with chain skip and switching to a different cog and the Singleator have taken care of that.

I do LOVE bombing down trails on that though!!! It feels more "flowy" than my other bike.

I do need to dump the reflectors and upgrade the pedals to better platforms. However I still can't decide if I want to go clipless...I do miss the upward pulling you get with clipless.

Here's a pic of my baby from last night's ride.....

I can't believe I actually made it up this trail! I had to stop several times and I had to walk that last stretch before the top, but I was suprised that I was able to make it!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I finally got to test ride an 05 tonight, and I hate to say I wasn't very impressed. The bike felt very clumsy. I felt like I was sitting almost straight up, but the frame was right in my crotch standover wise. Brakes were not good, but could possibly use some burn in. Seat felt like a bouncy pillow, and I don't see that as a good thing. Grips are teeny thin which only makes the riser and levers seem just as cheesy. Also, it sqeaked and creaked the whole time.

I hope you enjoy the bike, there can definitely be worse. I am looking for a bike that can do most whatever I might do with it (mostly regular trail type, etc) and whatever I invest in is going to have to last me a while (wife stepping in there). I was hoping this SS might fit the bill, but I just don't think it will. Were I looking for an urban bomber, well it might be a decent entry to that world with a few upgrades. As is, looks like I will pass.

So, I am back to either trying to build a $500 SS that will work for me better than this one, or putting that down on a 04 Trek Fuel 70 the LBS is offering a deal on. Oh, and I should have the money in 2 days, so I better make up my mind.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's kind of odd, 24601.

The 19" frame (seat to grips) is about as long as my 20" Ibex is. Your bike shop had the stem on right, right? heh. As I've used the Tektros before, yes, they need a wear-in period. I'm not sure what the period is though. The '05 hasn't creaked on me yet, but man, hardtail is incredibly different from FS - I need to get used to watching the rear wheel's line as much as the front's again. The idea of using it for Urban Assault is enticing though >:)

I do tend to agree on the grips - I'm waiting for my LizardSkins and Ergo-II's to show up currently.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The stem is extremely short, almost not there. That, along with the rider bar, made the bike very compact. Perhaps with a longer stem it could be more of a trail bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.