Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I need your help I am new to the sport I came out of racing motocross on a Honda CRF 450r. I am wanting to start a new sport/hobbie. I will be using it to go back and forth to work, allso take it on some old logging roads and do what ever I can. Being that I came from motocross I like to full suspension, Hydro brakes. I like to put things to the test. So it needs to be built. I have a 13 + yr old Mongoose that has bent rims and it has been used. I have been looking on line and found the legendary bikesdirect.com Is this place a scam or can a guy buy a bike and be happy with his/her $800.00 buy. I am looking at the Motobecane fantom trail ds, Motobecane 700ds full suspension, or the windsor ghost 6900 full suspension. Any body out there to help me. I want a great bike and can spend about $800.00.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I wouldn't recommend going with BikeDirect.com. It might work ok as a basic commuter bike, but you'll probably be disappointed with it once you get into mountain biking. I don't think there are any great full-suspension bikes for ~$800 unless you buy used. You could get a decent hard-tail for that price though.

·
808+909 = Party Good Time
2,072 Posts
At that price you'll get a much better hard tail that will last ya longer and then get a FS later. I'm guessing if ya coming from Motorcross you like to thump ya bike around on the rough stuff, in which case a solid $800 hardtail downhill/jumpbike might be a better option. There are heaps of solid ones in the price range. There are plenty of aggressive / downhill riders who swear by hardtails, full suspension is great but not if it's cheap.

Try www.speedgoat.com or www.jensonusa.com for some great prices on solid bikes.

Have fun hunting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.