Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my wife are thinking about riding Santa margarita river trail tommorrow. In the process of researching it I keep on coming up with people saying don't come during the wrong time of the year. What is exactly the right time? We have hit 3 spots so far in SoCal and enjoy exploring all these new places but don't want to get into something way over our heads. What could possibly make this so it's not good for this time
of year? Has anyone been recently?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Check out Daley Ranch in Escondido. There are a lot of trails ranging from easy to fairly technical. A little mud here and there from the rain Friday night/Saturday morning but I rode it yesterday and it was nice. Today should be even better. So peaceful and serene, very nice this time of year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We read about it from mountain bike bill. It is in fallbrook, said a lot of horse traffic but not a lot of hikers. We tried Daley ranch a couple weeks ago and their was way to many people. Like strollers kids running everywhere. Smrt sounds way less crowded, just wondering if anyone has rode it lately

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Although I've never ridden the dirt section of the SMT, I believe it starts at the small park at De Luz and Sandia. I've heard from people who have ridden it in the past, they said a lot of it was un rideable due to sandy, washed out sections, but that was a few years ago.
Has it been improved? Anyone ridden it lately?

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Crawlin....I live in Oceanside as well. Daley isn't my favorite place to ride but I've been there 50 times and aside from the main fire road climb up, I rarely even see a hiker on the trails much less people with strollers. I can't help on the SMT either as I've never heard of it. If you can tell us what kind of trails you prefer, we might be able to steer you in the right direction with new ideas. That being said, this is SoCal and since there are 14 billion people here, many trails can get crowded (on the weekends especially).

If you don't mind driving, the best place to go to get away from crowds is the Big Laguna Trail off of Sunrise Hwy east of Pine Valley...80 miles east of Oceanside out Interstate 8. The main loop is super easy for any level but once you leave the loop, most of the trails are easy intermediate level stuff with some more advanced options. At the far northeast end of the loop is Noble Canyon which is the best ride in San Diego County when you're ready to tackle that option.

A couple other great options that also both require driving (but don't have crowds) are pretty much anywhere in Big Bear other than the bike park at Snow Summit and all the trails in Idyllwild. When Hurkey Creek gets back open, hopefully next season, it's my favorite trails in all of SoCal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.