Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I picked up a Wahoo Kickr and have my Niner RLT that I'd like to use with it. The RLT is setup 1x with a 32t chainring in the front and an 11-42 cassette. The Kickr came with an 11spd 11-28 105 cassette.

How should I modify my setup to make it work flawlessly (have a decent range of gears)? I don't want to move to a double -- should I pick up a new cassette?

With the new cassette, I'd need an HG spline, right? Is the Sunrace CSMX8 my best bet?

Thanks and sorry for the dumb questions :)

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Put a cassette with the same number of cogs and a range approximating what you have on the bike. You shift when riding in slope (simulation) mode where resistance is varied based on the virtual terrain. In erg mode, you don't shift and the app commands a power level that is achieved by it adjusting the resistance irrespective of gear or cadence. Usually you just leave it in middle/high gear. Most all training, intervals etc., are done in erg mode.

On dumb trainers, you control resistance by shifting to harder or easier gears. You can do the same on a smart trainer, or dial in more or less resistance without having to shift by using an app, Garmin, etc. to control the trainer.

You mtb is 11 speed rigth? You could get by with the trainer's 11-28 cassette for erg mode training. I suggest trying that and see how things work.

When switching between the trainer and normal rear wheel, you might have to tweak cable tension by some number of clicks to optimize shifting, just as you might when switching between different wheels.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Erg mode, it doesn’t matter.

For zwifting and virtual work, I would pick up a Shimano SLX 11-46

Typically, there is some barrel adjustment required while moving the bike on and off the trainer, so remember the turns while switching back and forth. A super cheap dedicated trainer bike is ideal and results in far more trainer time. It’s very workout prohibitive to get the bike and set it up every time.

One of ours has a 250 dollar ride bike and the other has a Scott aspect hardtail we picked up for 300. Plus chains stay clean and quiet being dedicated indoor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Erg mode, it doesn't matter....
I'd go so far as to say the speed of the cassette on the trainer doesn't need to match your bikes drivetrain speeds. I know riders who have a 9 or 10 speed cassette on the trainer and put their 11 speed bikes on it. They shift to a middle gear, adjust cable tension to align that gear and leave it there.

1,328 Posts
I'd go so far as to say the speed of the cassette on the trainer doesn't need to match your bikes drivetrain speeds. I know riders who have a 9 or 10 speed cassette on the trainer and put their 11 speed bikes on it. They shift to a middle gear, adjust cable tension to align that gear and leave it there.
+1 or 2 or ?? for not needing to duplicate your mtb drivetrain. I'd even go so far as to say NOT to do so because...

it's important to note that quite a few of these trainers rely on roller/wheel speed for cooling the resistance unit so if you're trying to ride up the Alpe d'Huez in your 28x46 there's a good chance you'll overheat and eventually fry your trainer.

Another similar/related aspect is that for high resistance moments (sprints/climbs in Erg) the "road feel" is terrible at low wheel speed.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Yeah. There can be a number of variables. I have a Hammer and in a high gear, the flywheel is really whizzing. If the workout calls for a drop in cadence, it can take forever for the flywheel to slow down. I find running it in a medium gear works best....something like 34 ring and 20 cog. It also also depends on the app I'm using, Zwift, Trainer Road, Rouvy, etc... Anyway, it's rated at 2000W and 20% grade so plenty of margin with me riding it. I've never ridden it a really low mtb-like gear so don't know how it would handle that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The amount of shifting may wind up depending on what app/service you wind up using. Zwift, for example, required more shifting than does The Sufferfest.

But, as others have said, try to mimic on your trainer what you have off for a more seamless transition between indoors and out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.