Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hairy man
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished getting unpacked, I have to start my new job in six days, I've got a ton of other crap to take care of. Is there anyplace in this burg I can get my wheels on dirt without having to drive an hour?

I've been loving Seattle for the most part, but I moved here from my rural New York, where I had miles and miles of trails around. Me and my 20 month old have gotten in some great bikepath rides, but I need some singletrack. Or at least some texture under my tires.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Dwight Moody said:
I just finished getting unpacked, I have to start my new job in six days, I've got a ton of other crap to take care of. Is there anyplace in this burg I can get my wheels on dirt without having to drive an hour?
Where you live? That'll help us out w/ directions.

Welcome to the Pac NW! Did ya bring yer webbed feet? :D

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
A great way to start getting fimiliar with the area and meeting people is thru the BBTC.
www.bbtc.org

Some fun rides close to the city IMO
Japanese Gulch, Mukilteo
Tolt McDonald, Carnation
Tokul, Fall City
Tiger Mt., Preston
Tapeworm, Renton
South Seatac, Seatac
Lake Sawyer, Black Diamond

i've heard good things about Paradise in Maltby but i've yet to make it out there for some reason.

The higher elevation mountain trails that are a little farther away, will be opening once the snow melts of the mountains. If you give yourself a 3 hr. drive window for rides you can ride something different almost every week.

A little over an hour but really worthwhile to check out now would be
Gailbraith Bellingham
ACFL Anacortes
Skookum Flats/White River Trail Greenwater
Capitol Forest Olympia
Green Mountain Bremerton

If you want to just go solo and get in alot of rides, go to a bookstore and grab John Zilly's N.W. mt. biking books.

Also Jim Hendricks has some maps for some local riding areas, that can prove very useful. They sell em for a couple bucks at my lbs. www.centercycle.com

good luck hope you get alot of riding in before your work starts the weather is a little humid, but great!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I second Skookum's recommendations...John Zilly's books for NW Wa and SW Wa. are great resources for local rides (within 3 hour drive from Seattle).

Among my fave rides are: Kachess Ridge (1 hr 15 min east of Seattle on I-90), Crystal Mountain Loop, Noble Knob/Palisades (1.5 hours SW of Seattle). These, along with others, are detailed in Zilly's books.

C-ya on the trail!

·
Hairy man
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks guys. I'll get the John Zilly book. I live in the Mount Baker neighborhood (which isn't really in the neighborhood of Mount Baker), near where MLK meets Rainer. I think I'll be trying to find Tapeworm the weekend, since it sounds like the closest trail.

And I'll probably stop in Center Cycles. Nice costumer outreach Skookum, now I know an LBS with at least one freindly, helpful employee.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Dwight Moody said:
Thanks guys. I'll get the John Zilly book. I live in the Mount Baker neighborhood (which isn't really in the neighborhood of Mount Baker), near where MLK meets Rainer. I think I'll be trying to find Tapeworm the weekend, since it sounds like the closest trail.

And I'll probably stop in Center Cycles. Nice costumer outreach Skookum, now I know an LBS with at least one freindly, helpful employee.
Glad i could help, i've been doing business with Dave and Lupe at Center Cycle for years, and they "earned" my business.
Anyways, yah Tapeworm is a great little technical trail that will give you a taste of what techy PacNW XC is all about. If you like that style of trail be sure to check out Tolt McDonald and Lake Sawyer.
Also Saint Edwards has some trails, that's just across the bridge, but i personally don't want to fight traffic to ride there, just not fun enough for me personally. There are a few more places too, but take it one trail at a time, hopefully you'll be stoked on what we have to offer. :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.