Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my fiance and I are going to be moving from Southeast Pennsylvania to Northeast Phoenix (probably northeast Scottsdale - still looking) in August. The sticky on this site has lots of great info about where to ride, but I'm not too keen on taking off on my own into the desert.

Are there any local organizations or e-mail lists that we can hook up with that do regular (or even irregular) rides? I find that the quickest way to find the really great trails is to ride with the locals. Plus, we need to learn the ins and outs of riding out there. I'm sure it is quite different from the wooded hills of the Northeast.

The crew I ride with now has a long standing Tuesday/Thursday night ride. Something like that would be nice to know about.

Any suggestions?

G

·
dtownmtb said:
So my fiance and I are going to be moving from Southeast Pennsylvania to Northeast Phoenix (probably northeast Scottsdale - still looking) in August. The sticky on this site has lots of great info about where to ride, but I'm not too keen on taking off on my own into the desert.

Are there any local organizations or e-mail lists that we can hook up with that do regular (or even irregular) rides? I find that the quickest way to find the really great trails is to ride with the locals. Plus, we need to learn the ins and outs of riding out there. I'm sure it is quite different from the wooded hills of the Northeast.

The crew I ride with now has a long standing Tuesday/Thursday night ride. Something like that would be nice to know about.

Any suggestions?
Depends on what kind of riding you want to do, but there is a lot of riding that isn't "taking off into the desert". Places like T100 and SoMo are completely surrounded by civilization and there are quick outs if you get yourself into trouble.

Many of the folk's on here do organized group rides all the time, just keep an eye out and hop in:thumbsup:

·
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Yeah, I suppose I'll have to just try different groups to see what works. Right now we ride with mostly sport level riders, with some experts. However, we ride for fun so we let the slower folks catch up. My fiance is doing Leadville, again, so she is no slouch in the fitness department.

As far as types of riding, singletrack is always best. I love technical rocky, rooty trails with logs (prolly not so many logs out there) but am excited to see what Arizona has to offer. We like to do 3-4 hour rides on the weekend, 2-3 hours during the week. Anything except boring gravel roads is good.

G

·
tmarkos said:
Single track, tech and rocky? South Mtn is calling you.
Exactly what I was thinking...

SoMo has some of the most diverse riding in the valley all packed into the largest municipal park in the US (A little over 16,000 acres)

There is everything there from rolling fast single track to full blown downhill and everything in between. Its a great place to cut your teeth at desert riding and enough of it to keep you entertained:thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,967 Posts
I'm sure once you get settled, you'll have no problem finding people to ride with. Plenty of rides posted on here.. I have to skip them because I suck but you sound like you can keep up ...

Leadville Colorado ?

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Welcome. McDowell Preserve sounds like it will be near you and a great introduction - mostly singletrack with varying difficulties of climbing. The McDowell Park is ok too, but I prefer the Preserve. Desert riding is a new terrain for most of us. As others said, the T100 and Somo areas will offer progressive greater challenges.

If you roadie, your close to lots of fun routes too. Search the forum, lots of threads about this.

where in PA? go Iggles!

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
I'll try and really answer your question. I know if a few things.

1. Post here that you want to ride and/or look for ride posts here.

2. The Slippery Pig bike shop has a Wednesday night ride. I think it starts from the shop at 7:00, but call to confirm. It is located in central Phoenix and the ride is at T100, also central-ish Phoenix.

·
EDR
10,572 Posts
I spent some time when I was kid in Allentown. My Uncle lived in Bethlehem or Landsdale, can't remember, we had family throughout the area. I was only about 6 years old but I remember the Quakers. I now envy them, lol.

Anywhere near you?

For fun technical riding hit National at South Mtn.

·
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yup

dryheat? said:
I'm also from PA.

Born in Easton, lived in Bangor til I was 12 and my family moved out to Phx in '85.

I miss the greenery.
I feel ya. I'll miss the beautiful green woods of Chester county. However, I won't miss coming back from every ride bleeding from the sticker bush encounters. Nor will I miss the poison ivy and ticks with Lyme disease. I'm sure they'll be replaced with nasty cactus and rattlesnakes, but every place has its charms.

It's all good as long as there is singletrack.

·
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
leadville

Phillbo said:
I'm sure once you get settled, you'll have no problem finding people to ride with. Plenty of rides posted on here.. I have to skip them because I suck but you sound like you can keep up ...

Leadville Colorado ?
yeah, Leadville Colorado. http://www.leadvilletrail100.com/merchant.ihtml?id=1425&step=2

I've done a 100 miler, but not starting at 10,000 feet. Sometimes I think there is something wrong with that girl.

·
In the rear with the beer
1,314 Posts
dtownmtb said:
Yeah, Downingtown? You know the area?
I'm another PA guy. Grew up in Williamsport, but spend '91 thru '05 in the Philly area (office downtown, lived mostly in Wayne and other mainline towns during that period), except for a 2 year stint in Pittsburg. My brother lived in Downingtown for a few years. Moved here 3 years ago next month.

I live in the general area you are looking to move (NE phx near scottsdale), I live about equal-distant from the Trail 100 trails (phx mtn preserve) and the McDowell preserve trails. The riding is a big change from the rooty, muddy stuff in the NE....but you can always make a weekend run to flagstaff if you get a little homesick and want to ride amongst the trees again. I spent a lot of time driving out to the mcdowell park in fountain hills when i first moved here which gave me a crash (pun intended) course in desert riding.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Putting Scranton, Pa on the map...

Was just following some of your talk. I'm originally from Scranton, Pa and now living in San Diego. I lived in Phoenix a few years ago and feel that I will never enjoy a place quite like South Mountain. I started riding in PA back in 92' and continued riding there for the next 8 years, until I picked up and shot out to Az. I was absolutely love struck by that friggin place! I lived on baseline and kyrene, so it was easy for me to pedal there everyday after work. Anyway, I hooked up with some good people out there and am glad that I can call them great, great friends. I'll be making a drive out there in 2 weeks or so to re-visit the desert and friends that altered me from an ok rider, to a much, much better one.. And the only thing I missed from Pa was the soft feeling I experienced when getting tossed off of your bike. The rocks and cacti are very unforgiving in Az! None the less, you'll love the riding out there!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.