Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
One life, One boss
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy everyone. I moved up in October and I have only been out on the road bike since. Looking for ideas to jump in the car and go somewhere to ride this weekend on Saturday. I've got some spots in mind, but wanted some input on trail conditions. Five day forecast shows cloudy for Sat....ya never know though. I've got a SS and Intense Tracer and I am really wanting to pedal the SS. Can anyone point me to a fun spot within a 2hr driving distance? Better yet, anyone down to join me? Thanks!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ineedmorecowbell said:
Mt.Hood Meadows??
Nice. If it rains enough to clear the snow from the mountains, it's going to be too sloppy to ride. I'd try somewhere near the beach. At least you won't have the snow pack to deal with. :). There has to be some good stuff near cannon beach, seaside, or Astoria.

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
thorkild said:
Syncline - it's on the wash side across from hood river. You'll have fun on either bike there
Syncline seems more of a Tracer ride to me. Too many steps and drops and faster dh stretches for ss ht or rigid for my liking.

Is the snow gone from the upper portions of Syncline right now?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Malibu412 said:
Syncline seems more of a Tracer ride to me. Too many steps and drops and faster dh stretches for ss ht or rigid for my liking.

Is the snow gone from the upper portions of Syncline right now?
Coyote Canyon, Moab, and Hidden Valley are definitely more Tracer style trails. But they are all ridable, even on a single speed, and maui and hospital (if the OP can find it) are a blast on a single speed. Snow is gone.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I would avoid a SS when it comes to the Mosier Syncline.Coyote is ok ,but anything else in that area would involve some inspired (not impossible) climbing.Siouxson "might"be clear of snow.If snow free Siouxson is a great SS trail.I will most likely be on the road bike again this weekend.If I MTB I will give you a headsup.Sunday I was riding over Bald Peak and the snow in the coast range was looking mighty low for March.

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
WRT is a good SS trail... Only an hour away. Might have to start at the far end though.

Its a good Tracer trail too.

·
One life, One boss
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where is WRT at, and Maui and Hospital? I read up on Syncline, looks sweet but yeah, probably better on the Tracer.

Some of the guys over at Bike Gallery were telling me a spot by Brown's Camp; can't remember the name but I think it had the word Lake in it... anyone know this spot?

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
aka AK said:
Where is WRT at, and Maui and Hospital? I read up on Syncline, looks sweet but yeah, probably better on the Tracer.

Some of the guys over at Bike Gallery were telling me a spot by Brown's Camp; can't remember the name but I think it had the word Lake in it... anyone know this spot?
WRT = Wilson River Trail on hiway 6 toward Tillamook, past Browns camp. Maui is part of the Syncline trails and Hospital is a trail that leaves out of the north end of White Salmon, WA, about 4 miles west of Syncline. I believe you can connect up with Syncline from Hospital but I haven't been that way myself yet.

Looking at the DOT cameras, there is snow along 6 at Lee's Camp so I'd say there is still quite a bit of snow holding in the higher and shady portions of WRT. Browns Camp and the WRT up near King Mt would be nearly unrideable unless on a fat bike... just my guess.

Only lake I know of out west/sw of PDX in that general vacinity is Hagg Lake?

·
Registered
451 Posts
aka AK said:

If it is Hagg Lake I wouldn't recommend it. Granted I haven't been there since I moved to Portland 11 or so years ago and someone at a bike shop told me to check it out, but compared to pretty much everything else out here, it sucks. Flat, sticky clay, fishing line everywhere, it had/has a park entrance fee, and did I mention it is totally flat? Might be ok on a CX bike.

Snow levels are pretty low right now, this will limit your options. Syncline would be at the top of my list if I were to make a suggestion. I've had some great rides in the coast range in winters past but not sure how much snow is on the ground. That said, I would rather push my bike through the snow than ride at Hagg Lake.

·
Registered
10,330 Posts
Ya Hagg Lake is for the dry season only, it doesn't drain and is uber muddy till July at the earliest. The lower section of the Wilson River Trail should be good to go and suites a SS just fine. Easy to find just park at the massive interpreter center snd go from there

·
Calm like a Bomb
1,070 Posts
Riding outlook was looking great with this weeks weather but seems a big rain storm is coming in for the next couple days which will soak all the trails. Browns may be pretty decent and I may be up for a ride somewhere so hit me up

·
Registered
297 Posts
Wrt

I tried the WRT on Sunday afternoon. Parked at Keenig and rode up the road to the trail crossing. About 30 yds from said crossing, it went from bare to about 6 inches of thick slushy snow. Since the trail mostly goes up from there, just decided to ride the trail back down to Keenig, which was fine. A few more warm days with wetness will help reduce the snow, but I don't know if it will be enough to get a good ride in.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
nh4cl said:
I tried the WRT on Sunday afternoon. Parked at Keenig and rode up the road to the trail crossing. About 30 yds from said crossing, it went from bare to about 6 inches of thick slushy snow. Since the trail mostly goes up from there, just decided to ride the trail back down to Keenig, which was fine. A few more warm days with wetness will help reduce the snow, but I don't know if it will be enough to get a good ride in.
Thanks for the report...

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
stunzeed said:
Riding outlook was looking great with this weeks weather but seems a big rain storm is coming in for the next couple days which will soak all the trails. Browns may be pretty decent and I may be up for a ride somewhere so hit me up
Browns will still be buried under slushy stuff.

I'm thinking Gorge Trail 400 just so I can get on something besides Lacamas, which I've been riding solely over the last month. Gonna head out from Yeon and ride as far east as time allows with the SW WA HS team.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Personally, I save most of the riding out towards the coast for after April. I think its the best time of the year for the next 6 weeks to enjoy Syncline out in the open before the poison oak gets too bad and it gets too hot. Then I head for the forest.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
aka AK said:
Howdy everyone. I moved up in October and I have only been out on the road bike since. Looking for ideas to jump in the car and go somewhere to ride this weekend on Saturday. I've got some spots in mind, but wanted some input on trail conditions. Five day forecast shows cloudy for Sat....ya never know though. I've got a SS and Intense Tracer and I am really wanting to pedal the SS. Can anyone point me to a fun spot within a 2hr driving distance? Better yet, anyone down to join me? Thanks!
Try here

http://nw-trail.org/maps

·
One life, One boss
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mtnbiker72 said:
Nice link, I haven't seen that on NWTA site. I was searching around and found this site as well:

http://rideoregonride.com/trails/browse/

I was hoping that the early week forecast would stick with showers/clouds for Sat... but it now looks like we might get dumped on. Also seems it's a bit early with slush to ride some favorite spots.

After looking at the NWTA site, looks like there is a trail building event at Sandy Ridge. I might just sign up for that anticipating meeting some new people and getting a ride in too. Anyone heading out there? I've got room to carpool with my truck and live towards West Linn.

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
Very Wet Winter

As you may or may not know, this winter has turned out to be wetter and later than other recent winters.

Bottom line, not many places to ride now. Even WRT, which is usually a good winter/spring go-to ride is not good now.

I live towards the west side (south of Hillsboro), and I'm lucky enough to live near Bald Peak.

Many times, with conditions like this, I ride from my house. I can do anything from 45 minutes and 1000 ft climbing to 2.5 hours and 2.5k ft climbing.

About 1/3 of my ride is on dirt roads -- no single track. But it's all country roads, fairly peaceful (if not raining), and its good training, in that it's climbing but not steep enough to pull anything you might need later.

Any and all are welcome to join me. I ride around my house in the winter quite often, and during the summer perhaps once a week (since I can't make it to real single track during the week).

I can't publish the ride info here, since my house's location is top-secret, but if anybody is interested PM me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.