Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
HIYAH
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to post to this damn New Mexico board and it keeps giving me fatal errors...WTF?

Anyway, if this post works I just moved here this year and am in the Aztec area. I have been riding the hart canyon trails and ruin canyon trails so far...SSer looking to see if anyone else was in my area and lookin for rides!

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
giantbikeboy said:
your post worked. i am in albuquerque. keep trying to find people to ride. it will work. this is a slow and not often used forum. B
That's funny.

Saw the thread 5 minutes after it went up - Only 1 or 2 folks are out that way, so the regular NM Forum yappers (me included!) had little reason to respond. Of course part of the reason is that there are a number of threads about the Aztec/Farmington area and riding, trails, contacts and so on. Thankfully the NM forum isn't that huge, so it's easy to sort through the older threads and find this stuff!

·
I ride with tools
1,376 Posts
Welcome...............

Welcome to New Mexico. A few of over in the Santa Fe / Los Alamos area have been wanting to ride Alien Run for some time. Maybe by this fall when you have all the best stuff figured out, you could give us an excuse to head over for a weekend and hit it all.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
On-One said:
I have been trying to post to this damn New Mexico board and it keeps giving me fatal errors...WTF?

Anyway, if this post works I just moved here this year and am in the Aztec area. I have been riding the hart canyon trails and ruin canyon trails so far...SSer looking to see if anyone else was in my area and lookin for rides!

Thanks,
Matt
Also check the Colorado, western slope Board...Given
your proximity to Durango et al...

·
HIYAH
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alien run = hart canyon...I ride it weekly...anybody wants to ride alien run including the extended portions let me know...it is very SS friendly as well (gearies AOK too).

Once the snow melts and trails dry I bet I could be found in the durango area on many a weekend this spring!

Anyway, havin fun riding oil field road behind my house!!!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
On-One said:
Alien run = hart canyon...I ride it weekly...anybody wants to ride alien run including the extended portions let me know...it is very SS friendly as well (gearies AOK too).

Once the snow melts and trails dry I bet I could be found in the durango area on many a weekend this spring!

Anyway, havin fun riding oil field road behind my house!!!
I imagine you know this, but the horse gulch area behind the sonic
on HWY 3 is a great set of in-town durango trails.

FWIW....

·
Basura Blanca
1,797 Posts
There will be 3 or 4 of us riding in Durango 5/6/05 and hitting Alien Run the following AM. None of us have been on Alien Run before, so if you're willing to hook up and show us the way, shoot me an email to rufus__at__medscape__dot__com.
- Joe

On-One said:

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
On-One said:

Thanks,
Matt
I'll be down there this weekend for the Alien Run race - http://www.aztecufo.com

Some other good trail systems around you are the Badlands and the Glade System in Farmington.
http://4corners.info/

I'd take you up on some rides, but I am superfreakingbusy, and will be that way until I at least get plumbing in my house (6 weeks if all works well). I have had about 5 days off since October. It's getting old.

You can start coming up to Durango any time - the Telegraph trail system is about 90% dry. Cortez (Phils World) should be bone dry as well. There is a back road to get there w/out going through Durango.

·
Registered
502 Posts
forkboy said:
Cortez (Phils World) should be bone dry as well. There is a back road to get there w/out going through Durango.
You talking about the La Plata hwy? I hear there is some cool riding on a private stash of land there west of the highway behind a big old cotton wood. This would be a little ways north of the baseball park. Know anything about these trails?

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
XTRKona said:
You talking about the La Plata hwy? I hear there is some cool riding on a private stash of land there west of the highway behind a big old cotton wood. This would be a little ways north of the baseball park. Know anything about these trails?
That sounds like the Badlands. 666 to La Plata hwy, north 1 mile past Pinion Hills blvd, 1/2 mile up the dirt road at the big dead cottonwood on the left.

It's pretty cool. There's a map of it on one of the links I posted. The only time I have ridden it was in a race, and I think I was so miserable from dehydration that I didn't appreciate the potential for fun - and I was too busy trying not to get myself killed. There are some pretty "extreme" sections that I can vaguely remember.

Theres a pretty long 3-ft wide ridge section with sheer drops on either side.

There's one 200-300 foot flat DH with a big berm at the bottom. My friend asks "How much air did you catch".

As little as possible I tell him :)

I'm going to have to go ride that again. I think it would be more fun if I brought water.

The great thing about trails around this area (Cortez, Farmington, Aztec) is that most people are so fixated on DURANGO that the surrounding trails don't get molested.

Edit -->> Phil's World is a little slice of heaven just outside of Cortez. It is honestly one of the most straight-up FUN trails I have ever ridden. It was built and is maintained by the guys at Kokopelli Bike & Board in Cortez. Also some very cool guys. Ask about the trail and they will give you a free map. One of their mechanics did the race on it last year riding a mountain unicycle. 15 miles in 2.5hrs.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Sounds like you are getting good advise here.
You might want to check out Cottonwood cycles in Farmington, they should have a lot of local information.
Phil's World is in great shape, and there are lots of other trails in the Dolores/Mancos/Cortez area, the Kokopelli shop in Cortez has a new map out.
Durango is only 30 minutes to the north, but not much is opened up yet. All of Horse Gultch/Ewing Mesa is legal now, but other than the meadow, there is still some snow and lots of water.
As someone else mentioned, You'll get more "local" info on the Colorado Western Slope board, more Durango area folks visit there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.