Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am new to mountain biking figured I ll introduce myself her and have a thread going for general progress.
I ve been doing some research on a new active hobby for me , wifey and some friends and we decided on mountain biking. After some research and craigslist hunting I picked up 2 Schwinn Skyliners Hybrid bikes for my wife and her brother locally on Craigslist for around 60$ for both! Also installed a hitch on my SUV and 4 bike Thule rack.
Being an Engineer and backyard auto mechanic I decide to build a bike-figured its fun and a good thing to know your bike and every component. So what I got so far is a Leader LD-526H Frame and a Raleigh M600 Parts bike. I rode the Raleigh M600 already a few times and it’s a great bike with some good components(Shimano Deore groupset, rock shock Judy fork and Avid disk brakes) but feels too heavy for me and a bit small for my size(5’11), so main goal is basically a lighter bike all around, that’s where the leader frame comes in. Basically I ll be swapping everything over from Raleigh M600 to the Leader frame with exception of basic weight reducing components.
So far I bought some parts for the bike: Carbon RC stem, Hylix Carbon seatpost and FSA carbon handlebars, also got a lighter Serfas Stinger saddle and FSA zero stack headset. I am a big Carbon fiber fan and having carbon all over the bike is eye candy for me J.Also picked up some tools, I figured it’s a good investment since we now have 3 bikes: Topeak Alien multi tool, torque wrench, DIY home depo headset press, bb tool and Park Crankset puller.
Here are some pictures of my progress so far:
The bike: 2003 Raleigh M600 with some upgrades
1.jpg

Frame Leader LD-526H :

2.jpg IMG_3905.JPG IMG_3906.JPG

when I got it-hated the paint scheme and also had a small dent in it. But the price was good for such light frame in my size was too good of a deal to pass up: So stripped the paint, grinded of the V-Brake mounts for a cleaner look and resprayed the whole bike in a BMW M3 Laguna Seca Blue color.(used to have M3 absolutely amazing color)
This is my first bike build, please share any advice you guys can give me, especially on the components swapping or any other do/don’t . I am hoping I can build the bike in 2 weeks or so if everything goes well (like it ever does ) and start riding.

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
I'd recommend having the headtube and BB shell chased/faced before proceeding with the build. Other than that, put the two next to each other and just start moving parts over. It'll turn into a bike before you know it.

Oh, and a workstand will make your life easier in a big way.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'd recommend having the headtube and BB shell chased/faced before proceeding with the build. Other than that, put the two next to each other and just start moving parts over. It'll turn into a bike before you know it.

Oh, and a workstand will make your life easier in a big way.
i 2nd the work stand. :thumbsup: world of a difference especially when deal with the drivetrain.
i bought this kit and together with the work stand, my build was a success. This was my first build and this kit was super handy. I'd say good enough for a first bike build kit.

Nashbar Essential Tool Kit - Normal Shipping Ground

i did the same as you. I swapped one complete bike over to a new frame. I had to get a new BB, chain, FD, headset, seat post & clamp, & cable kit. Everything else was swapped over perfectly. Depending on the condition of the current bike being swapped out, might be a good time to upgrade or replace parts since she's under the knife. I can't clearly tell from the angle of the frame, but the head tube looks like it might might be tapered not sure, if so then you'll have to look into a new headset..

good luck

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
I have to ask..did you ride the Raleigh as it is pictured with the handlebars/fork/etc. backwards?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts