Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I guess I'll quickly introduce myself since this is the first time I've posted here. My names Clint and I'm 22. I used to mountain bike a lot when I lived in Utah, but when I was 17 I moved down here to Arizona and haven't biked since.

The bug has bit me and I have a lot of desire to start mountain biking again. Here is my problem. Everything in the industry has changed quite a bit from 6 years ago. I would like to ride cross country/all mountain, so I recently got a good deal on a Trek Fuel ex-9 frame. I don't want to spend more than $300 on a fork and I'd like to have +100mm travel, and if possible a lock out. Back in '97 a fork wasn't that tough of a decision, but now I don't even understand all the adjustments that are possible. I've narrowed my options down to the following:
Manitou ’05 Nixon Comp 145mm QR Axle Version
Manitou Gold Label Jump Series II 100mm
Manitou '06 Black Platinum Air With SPV Evolve 120mm
Manitou '05 Black Super Air w/Remote Lockout 120mm
Manitou R7 (R Seven) Comp 100mm
These are the Forks I've seen for under $300. If anyone knows which is the better of these please let me know, so I can make a good decision. Also, if you know of a fork better than these for under $300 please let me know also.

Thanks guys,
Clint

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
AR_Clint said:
Well, I guess I'll quickly introduce myself since this is the first time I've posted here. My names Clint and I'm 22. I used to mountain bike a lot when I lived in Utah, but when I was 17 I moved down here to Arizona and haven't biked since.

The bug has bit me and I have a lot of desire to start mountain biking again. Here is my problem. Everything in the industry has changed quite a bit from 6 years ago. I would like to ride cross country/all mountain, so I recently got a good deal on a Trek Fuel ex-9 frame. I don't want to spend more than $300 on a fork and I'd like to have +100mm travel, and if possible a lock out. Back in '97 a fork wasn't that tough of a decision, but now I don't even understand all the adjustments that are possible. I've narrowed my options down to the following:
Manitou '05 Nixon Comp 145mm QR Axle Version
Manitou Gold Label Jump Series II 100mm
Manitou '06 Black Platinum Air With SPV Evolve 120mm
Manitou '05 Black Super Air w/Remote Lockout 120mm
Manitou R7 (R Seven) Comp 100mm
These are the Forks I've seen for under $300. If anyone knows which is the better of these please let me know, so I can make a good decision. Also, if you know of a fork better than these for under $300 please let me know also.

Thanks guys,
Clint
Not a Manitou hater but many of the manitou forks dont get great reviews...especially the Nixon. I owned Sherman Firelfy and it also had the dreaded oil leak at the rebound knob Manitou is famous for. Any Manitou with spv will tend to ride harsh when compared to others' non spv brand.

I realize $ is issue for you but if you buy a fork that has a good reputation, you may end up saving $ in the long run if you don't mine spending extra $100.

Suggest looking into Rock Shox latest...Pike, Revelation, Reba, Recon, & Tora. I also like Fox but they tend to be much more expensive when compared to RS. I really dig the Pike. I never ridden zocchi so I can't comment on them.

STH

1 - 2 of 2 Posts