Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just got into mountain biking, I purchased a cheap Mongoose bike off Craigslist to ride around and loved it. Took it to the local trail and bent my back rim pretty bad. lol So, I need a new quality bike!

I want something that can last me over a year or two with hard use twice a week.

I have been reading here a lot and researching and I think I want a 27.5 with a maximum budget of $750.

Please let me know what bike you prefer... So far I have found the

GIANT Talon 27.5 4, mspr $700
JAMIS NEMESIS 650 SPORT, mspr $790
MOTOBECANE, $550... not available in my size
Trek, no comparable ?
Specialized, no comparable ?

What other bikes out there am I missing ? I am new so I dont know much about bikes.

Thank you!!!!

·
since 4/10/2009
31,431 Posts
Don't get hung up on wheel size unless you test ride something and love it more than everything else. You may NOT like something you listed here.

Also 650b/27.5 wheels are only just becoming popular. Not every company will have any to offer you. Choices will be limited.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Wheel damage isn't necessarily less likely with a different bike. Do you have a "real" Mongoose or a Walgoose?

I think you were on the right track buying used. If you take your $750 and do it again, you can get a lot of bike.

·
Registered
14,043 Posts
trek world.jpg
McConnell on a Trek SF 9.9SL finished 4th at the XC Worlds round 2 last weekend. The winner rode a BMC ht 29er.

27.5 is not an automatic advantage over a 29" hard tail bike especially for beginners. The smaller size will not roll over obstacles as easily. It also has a smaller contact patch for less potential traction. It is not a developmental progression in mtb design. It is more of a stop gap for long travel full suspension where 29" wheel use design development is still being worked out.
But each bike is an unique design with significant performance differences. One bike can be light handling with quick steering and excellent bump compliance. The one next to it may be stable but slow turning and heavy feeling. Tire size is one factor. Fork quality and front end weight are more important. Geo is also influential.

In your price range the mid quality, no maintenance Raidon air fork on the Marin Bobcat Trail 29 2013 on ebay currently will give you the most room for skill development, probably two seasons of hard riding before you want a carbon bike for more compliance.

2013 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er 17" MTB Hardtail Bike Shimano 9S Hydraulic Disc New | eBay

·
since 4/10/2009
31,431 Posts
Imo the "benefits" of different wheel sizes are overhyped. I still ride 26" wheels and have no intention to change. I like the way my bike feels. But based on the way people talk to me on the trail you would wonder how ANYONE ever rode a bike with anything smaller than 29" wheels.

It's crap. Ride what feels comfortable to you regardless of what anyone else says

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
So as someone who has switched to a 29er...

I agree.

It's smoother than my 26" bike. Part of that is it's a nice full suspension vs. a hardtail with a chewed fork.

It hasn't fundamentally changed anything.

Since the difference to 650B is even less, I'd expect even less change.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Don't get hung up on wheel size unless you test ride something and love it more than everything else. You may NOT like something you listed here.

Also 650b/27.5 wheels are only just becoming popular. Not every company will have any to offer you. Choices will be limited.
Agree with this 100%

I can't help but to believe the rash of new riders that think they want a 650b/27.5 are just drinking the kool-aid the bike industry has been serving us. I also feel that currently if you are looking for a budget bike the 27.5 is not right choice. There just are not as many good deals on them because they are newer. Also upgrades are still currently limited.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your replies !

To answer the question my Mongoose was a wally-world crappo bike, but i made me realize how fun riding is... hadn't ridden a bike since High School !

I am sure for a beginner such as myself 26, 27.5, and 29 wheels wont change much... but, my theory was since I am a beginner I want the best of both worlds so go for 27.5 for my first bike.

If I can find a cheaper 2013 bike such as what soflotrailer stated it would be great!!! I don't mind getting a 26" although it would need to be a great deal, because if for the same money I can get a 27.5 I would.

I need to hit the local bike shops, i haven seen any great deals online on new bikes. The reason I don't really want used is because I have seen a ton of road bikes for sale in Craigslist around here but no nice MTBs for sale...

Any other advice you guys have shoot it my way!!! Thank you.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
I am sure for a beginner such as myself 26, 27.5, and 29 wheels wont change much... but, my theory was since I am a beginner I want the best of both worlds so go for 27.5 for my first bike.

That is the kool-aid I am referring to.
27.7 is just as much the "best of both worlds" as it is the worst.
You get a little bit of this but have to give up a some of that to get it.
Basically you don't get something for nothing.

The other part of the kool-aid is that the industry lies to you when they call it a 27.5 to make it seem as if it really does fit in the middle when in reality it is 27" (so only an 1" bigger than 26" wheel and 2" smaller than a 29er). Not really in the middle there is it?

I am not saying any one wheel size is better. In fact everyone has their choices and preferences so more choices are great. However, I think a lot of newbies will usually prefer a larger 29" wheel for the rollover (not that it makes a 29er a newbie bike because I have seen a lot of seasoned veterans switch to them).

Buy what feels good but don't let the industry cram a wheel size down your throat with the misconception that it is "the best of both worlds". If that was true, they would stop making the other wheel sizes because everyone would be switching.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thank you all for your replies !

To answer the question my Mongoose was a wally-world crappo bike, but i made me realize how fun riding is... hadn't ridden a bike since High School !

If I can find a cheaper 2013 bike such as what soflotrailer stated it would be great!!! I don't mind getting a 26" although it would need to be a great deal, because if for the same money I can get a 27.5 I would.

I need to hit the local bike shops, i haven seen any great deals online on new bikes. The reason I don't really want used is because I have seen a ton of road bikes for sale in Craigslist around here but no nice MTBs for sale...

Any other advice you guys have shoot it my way!!! Thank you.
Yea, I'm telling you, call around to some LBS and ask about the 2013 inventory they have and what kind of deals they can offer. I'm just like you, I was all into getting a new scott scale 27.5, but the thing was $1100. And it still doesn't have great components.
I also looked at getting used, but after a couple weeks watching CL i found nothing. If something popped up, it wasn't my size.

You could get a 2013 26" bike that was worth $1100 for almost half that and you'll have decent components. You won't get a discount on a 27.5" bike now and do you think 1.5" is worth a couple hundred dollars? We aren't professionals buddy.

·
Banned
2,320 Posts
Agree with this 100%

I can't help but to believe the rash of new riders that think they want a 650b/27.5 are just drinking the kool-aid the bike industry has been serving us...

I also feel that currently if you are looking for a budget bike the 27.5 is not right choice. There just are not as many good deals on them because they are newer. Also upgrades are still currently limited.
^ This is spot on.
The kool-aid is being forced upon them by the media, and the LBS.
My 15 yr old neighbor stopped by to show me his new bike, which was a new Trek 650B.
Problem is that he's already 6'5", and fits better on a 29er, yes folks size does matter.

One key piece of intel missing here;
OP - How tall are you?
IMHO - If over 6' take a long look at the 29ers if not, lots of smoking deals out there on used 26ers.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
I am 5`9.. Weight about 155-160.. I think a 29" would be too big for me.
Nope, not really.
I am 5'10" and both my mountain bikes are 29ers. I am on the cusp of med & lg on most bikes. You should fit a med 29er just fine.

I know people shorter than you that are very comfortable on 29ers.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Imo the "benefits" of different wheel sizes are overhyped. I still ride 26" wheels and have no intention to change. I like the way my bike feels. But based on the way people talk to me on the trail you would wonder how ANYONE ever rode a bike with anything smaller than 29" wheels.

It's crap. Ride what feels comfortable to you regardless of what anyone else says

Couldn't agree more: "Ride what feels comfortable to you regardless of what anyone else says"

I wish people would think more nowadays and stop following the hype. Ride whatever fits you best and stop caring about unimportant details.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Felt has a 27.5 hardtail that retails for $599. You might want to put that on your list to check out. In the past ( they may still) Suntour had a pretty good upgrade program for their forks so a few extra bucks you could move up to a Raidon airfork or better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I personally don't think any one type is better than the other. I rode dozens of bikes when i was deciding upon my new bike. I had never heard of 29, or 650b before i decided i wanted something better than my squalmart bike. I rode the talon and i really liked it, plus the tire height on mine is just at 28". I simply like that there are plenty of options, and shouldnt get caught up with what is "better". Ride everything and something will just feel perfect, 26 275, 29.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I went bike shopping recently also and came to the following conclusions:

1.) 29ers are nice but if you are on the smaller size, they can be a bit too big.

2.) 27.5 fills the bill below 29

3.) If I was buying a new bike I would be hard pressed to justify a 26 unless it was heavily discounted. Wouldn't run out to buy a 650b if I had a nice 26, but also wouldn't spend good money on a new 26er because I think they are going away for the majority of new bike buyers. Maybe certain advanced riders have some specialty needs for the smaller, more manuverable bikes but I think for most of us, 27.5 or 29 are going to fit the bill quite well and drive availability.

IMHO

1 - 20 of 39 Posts