Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yeah, So I'm new to the whole MTB scene. So I started searching around for a bike, test riding all that I could asking a crap load of question at the LBS.

We got the wife a Trek Skye SL and got myself a Motobecane Fantom 29PRO.

The Trek looks just about perfect for my wife. She said it was the most comfortable out of all that she test rode and it came in white. She was on cloud nine when she found out they had white. I'm pretty sure she will just use it to cruise around town on, which is fine with me. There are a bunch of paved trails that run through all the cities close us. We will hit those up. Now we need to get a baby hauler.

Out of all the bikes I test rode, The 29 bikes felt just...um....How do you say...oh yeah, awesome! They felt girthy, portly, had some mass to them, just flat out...fun. I BMX'ed when I was younger and always wanted a BMX cruiser (24"). I'm pretty sure I got the equivalent in a MTB. I am looking at as I got the best of it all. That's how I'm looking at it, probably wrong, but until I can change my own mind about it...I'm sticking to it. :thumbsup:

Here is my bike...

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom29_pro_xi.htm

Frame MOTO29X Aluminum with TrailTuned PowerStay Design, DualProfile Downtube with reinforced Gusset, replaceable rear derailleur hanger

Fork Reba 29" RL Travel:100mm w/Pop Loc remote

Crankset FSA Afterburner Hollow-Forged Aluminum arms, 24/32/42T, (15 ~17:170mm 19~21:175mm)

Bottom Bracket FSA MegaEXO external bearing

Front Derailleur Shimano XT 10SPEED DynaSYS, 31.8mm clamp

Rear Derailleur Shimano XTR SGS 10SPEED long cage, DynaSYS for 30 Speed (M980SGS)

Shifters Shimano XT DynaSYS 30 speed trigger shift

Cassette/Freewheel Shimano DynaSYS SLX KCS-HG81-10 11-36t 10Speed

Chain Shimano SLX KCNHG74112, for 30 speed

Hubs Gravity Disc, Precision bearing with Quick Release

Spokes Stainless steel

Rims WTB Lazer disc Trail 29" 32h w/single eyelet, Black anodized Aluminum

Tires Kenda Small Block Eight 29x2.1, 120TPI Folding KEVLAR bead

Brakes Avid Elixir R Disc Brake 185mm Avid Cleansweep rotors

Brake Levers Avid Elixir R Disc Brake

Headset VP-A88, threadless 1 1/8 in

Handlebar Black Finish Aluminum Ritchey COMP Rizer 20mm * 620w * 6° Alloy DIA:31.8

Stem Black Finish Aluminum Ritchey COMP Ext. 110mm * 6° Alloy BAR BORE:31.8 threadless

Tape/Grip WTB DualCompound

Saddle WTB Rocket V comp

Seat Post Black Finish Aluminum Mountain 27.2mm x 350mm

Seat Post Clamp Super Light Alloy with Quick Release

It's got fairly good components. I have been reading that the spokes, tires and hubs are garbage. I'm 5'7" and 250lb's.

That is about it. This is just kinda my introduction. Just looking to have some fun out there with my wife and friends.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Wow that's a great photo! You should think about doing work for websites or brochures n stuff!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: kwrides

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That last sentence, " Just looking to have some out there with my wife and friends " - Is that an invite ?
Sure, why not.

Wow that's a great photo! You should think about doing work for websites or brochures n stuff!!!!!!!!!!
LOL, that is actually the photo from the Motobecane site. My bike will be here on Friday, at least that is what UPS quotes. Whoo Hoo!!

Free grazing is that you?
Umm, I've been known to do a little free grazing at buffet's, But unfortunately, not me.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
... I BMX'ed when I was younger and always wanted a BMX cruiser (24"). I'm pretty sure I got the equivalent in a MTB...
Nice pickup. I agree, the 29er makes a great cruiser bike, they roll really well and keep momentum longer than smaller wheel sizes. Take them up into more technical twisty stuff and they tend to handle like log trucks. For more technical stuff I prefer 650b, but for tame bike paths and trails the 29ers work great. Of course this is all based on personal experience and individual geometry requirements. Enjoy the new ride!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's basically what I'm looking for. Looks like I hit the nail on the head. If I get more into it, I'll pick up something else next year.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the 17 was to big. I will be exchanging it for a 15". Matt at BikesDirect is working on all the info I need to exchange it.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
So lets see, you tried a bunch of bikes at the local bike store then purchased your new bike online. Awesome!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure if that was sarcastic or not...But essentially, yeah. We (wife and I) went around to bikes shops and rode some of their bikes they had in stock. Figured out what we liked. We went back to the place that was nicest and most helpful and ordered my wife's bike from them. I then ordered a bike online thinking I knew what the hell I was doing, wrong. Anyway, it's getting all fixed up.

·
Administrator
10,529 Posts
Well the 17 was to big. I will be exchanging it for a 15". Matt at BikesDirect is working on all the info I need to exchange it.
how tall are you? If you are concerned only about standover height and the 29er being tall see this thread (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=7732979).

If you feel the bike is too long then continue on the path you are going down.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Amazing how this type of thread always seems to be about products from bikesdirect and never someplace like performance or pricepoint.

·
Registered
924 Posts
On Bikesdirect web page it said = to Trek,Giant,Niner & so on, but none of them use wtb wheels,
so you payed about $ 1200.00 and you being at 250lbs are going to need a better wheelset,at $500.00 or more, with the name brand at $ 2500.oo to $3000.oo you would have most likely goten better handlebars,stem,seatpost,saddle,seatpost clamp,wheelset and you could have been sized for the bike and if they would have been wrong they (LBS) would eat the shipping cost.
Just saying! do the math! I try to tell people look at what your going to want to change then you will know how much any said bike is going to cost you. I have a Salsa Mamasita it was xt and I change it over to Sram xo two forks, three sets of handlebars,wheelsets two, three saddles,post clamp, I'm on crankset number two,and the stem,I went to a 5deg
90mm and found that I like a -5 100mm stem. Stem,handlebars,saddles are somethings that most people change till they find what they want anyways:madman:

·
Administrator
10,529 Posts
On Bikesdirect web page it said = to Trek,Giant,Niner & so on, but none of them use wtb wheels,
so you payed about $ 1200.00 and you being at 250lbs are going to need a better wheelset,at $500.00 or more, with the name brand at $ 2500.oo to $3000.oo you would have most likely goten better handlebars,stem,seatpost,saddle,seatpost clamp,wheelset and you could have been sized for the bike and if they would have been wrong they (LBS) would eat the shipping cost.
Just saying! do the math! I try to tell people look at what your going to want to change then you will know how much any said bike is going to cost you. I have a Salsa Mamasita it was xt and I change it over to Sram xo two forks, three sets of handlebars,wheelsets two, three saddles,post clamp, I'm on crankset number two,and the stem,I went to a 5deg
90mm and found that I like a -5 100mm stem. Stem,handlebars,saddles are somethings that most people change till they find what they want anyways:madman:
I agree with this totally and many bike shops will swap out components to get you fit perfectly and will not charge you: eg. bar, stem, grips, seat etc.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts