Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
nubee
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
GiddyHitch said:
+1

Maybe do all of the work yourself if you're mechanically inclined and then have the LBS do the final setup and check over your work.
I might be able to do that, but as was pointed out earlier, I managed to install my seat backwards, so that gives you a snapshot of my mechanical ability. Also, I'm not sure that the forks from the aggressor are compatible with the pantera because the steerer tube is a 1 inch and the steerer tube on the newer fork is 1 3/8.

·
nubee
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Don't know much about the red bike, I do know that the forks have travel in them. I know that both tires are flat, and the tires look like they are dry rotted. I haven't ridden it at all. In my research, I haven't read many good things about the aggressor. I haven't been inclined to spen any money at all on it. The pantera is the nicest bike I've ever had.

·
Can't feel my legs
852 Posts
Not positive, but 99% sure the Aggressor has 1 1/8 steerer, and the Pantera definately does. Should be able to swap forks with no problems. It's quite easy.

·
nubee
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok, I'll swap the forks. Can someone point me in the direction of some form of instructions on how to actually perform the work, what kind of tools I'll need, etc? Thanks in advance

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Simple...

gubmentcheze said:
Ok, I'll swap the forks. Can someone point me in the direction of some form of instructions on how to actually perform the work, what kind of tools I'll need, etc? Thanks in advance

There are basically 3 bolts that hold the fork to the stem. More than likely, you'll need a 5mm allen wrench.

1. Loosen the 2 bolts on the stem.
2. Remove the bolt on the top cap (cap that sits on the stem).
3. Remove the stem from the steerer tube.
4. The fork should fall out of the head tube. If it doesn't, gently tap the top of the steerer tube with a rubber mallet or place a block of wood on it and tap it with a hammer.

Putting the fork on the Pantera is performing the 4 steeps above (no hammer or mallet needed). The only things you need to be aware of are:

a. When assembled, the steerer tube of the fork should be recessed about 5mm (1/4") inside the steem.
b. The top cap clamps the fork/bike/stem assembly together. Be sure to tighten it first before tightening the stem bolts.
c. You don't want to tighten the top clamp bolt too tight. Just tight enough so there's no wiggle in the assembly. If you over tighten, you'll pull the star nut out of the steerer tube.

·
Sneaker man
3,416 Posts
I would take both bikes to the bike store and say:

"please take all the best,most working bits of both bikes and put them on the much better pantera thank you very much."

·
nubee
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
mik_git said:
I would take both bikes to the bike store and say:

"please take all the best,most working bits of both bikes and put them on the much better pantera thank you very much."
They would do this? I'll see what they say thank you.

·
Can't feel my legs
852 Posts
Looking at the pics, the Pantera has better "bits" with the exception of the fork. Try swapping it as per Ken's instructions, and only resort to LBS if it proves to be beyond your ability(I doubt it will)
The shop will likely charge as much as you paid for the bike for the service, and may say you need more work than you do.

·
nubee
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm pretty sure I can do the work myself. Doesn't look terribly difficult. However, should I decide to take it to my LBS, how can I keep myself from getting screwed?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts