Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
nubee
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just picked up this bike last month at a garage sale dirt cheap. From what I have been able to tell so far this bike is a 97 and people seem to be pretty happy with theirs. So far so good, although I have yet to venture very far from a paved trail. Can anyone give me any information about this bike. It's a GT Pantera. mountain bike.jpg

·
Mojo MadDuc
123 Posts
Your forks are definately toast, you may have two options. Their are one maybe two companies that are still doing re-builds on these older Rock Shox, you might try posting something on the Vintage board, they may be able to point you to one of these companies. If this is an older threaded fork, with a 1 inch steerer tube this may be your only option. ( I can't see the top of the fork tube in the picture, to let you know)

The second option is a new fork, if this frame happens to have a 1 1/8 tube, you can move to a 1 1/8 threadless fork. You would need a new threadless stem as well. This may start to become cost prohibitive on a bike this old, alot depends on the size of the steering tube. Post up some pictures that show the top of the fork coming out of the steerer tube and we can help you out. That period of bikes were mostly threaded headsets, but if not you have some nice options for new forks and stems. This time of year, the internet sights are probably blowing out the 2009's and maybe even a left over 2008 fork and you might pick up a deal. Post up another picture and you will get a better assessment.

Happy Holidays!

MadDuc916

·
In Transit
924 Posts
That's a 96 GT Pantera based on the fork and the fact that the graphics don't match the 97. Not that it matters much, truth be told.

Regarding your seat, it should be more level with the ground, not pointed to the sky, though you can make adjustments up and down to suit your comfort. And GoBuffs is commenting on the amount of sag that your fork exhibits without any load on it (the black rubber fork boots are all scrunched up like the fork is compressed). Now, those could be the wrong boots for that fork, but the take away is that that fork probably isn't going to be much fun on the trails due to its age and possibly condition. I had one of those Quadra 21R's when they were new and was never really happy with it. I can only imagine how one rides after 12 years.

I just pulled my 96 hardtail out of the garage recently and am having a lot of fun out on the trails. So, welcome to the club and while you may end up getting the bike bug, just lube that chain, tighten those bolts, and adjust the brakes/derailleurs/seat for now, and then just enjoy the ride. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
The links that have been posted all indicate it has a 1 1/8" threadless headset and steerer tube. You might want to go to a rigid fork as a more economical solution.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
spend as little as possible to fix up that bike. you're going to need to replace more things down the road, and that road is short!

·
Ride Good or Eat Wood
606 Posts
GT's are a nice bike, I have a GT Zaskar and loved it (upgraded to a SC Nomad). However the frames are strong and pretty rigid. If you can replace the forks the go out and have fun. Learn the craft and one day you will find that this bike just won't keep up, and then you'll be ready to spend some more $$ and upgrade. Enjoy the ride! :thumbsup:

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Another vote for not putting a lot more money into that bike. Still, it is a bike and if everything is working, you can ride it.

I am no expert on forks so I'll leave that to others.

Are the wheels round? And they turn OK?
Are the gears shifting?
Are the brakes braking?

Most likely, the seat angle needs some adjustment to be comfortable.

·
nubee
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate all the input. I took it to my LBS yesterday and I was quoted around $210 for new forks and front brakes as the setup I have now won't carry over. I also have a GT Aggressor one of my buddies gave me, it's a much newer bike but it's rusted to he!! because it's been sitting outside for over a year untouched. On the Pantera, everything else seems to be working great, the wheels are nice and round and turn well, the brakes brake and the gears shift. As far as the seat, that's not the one that was on the bike when I bought it. That is from the other bike that was sitting. I can't figure out how to angle the nose down, and yes it is very uncomfortable.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
If my eyes don't deceive me... the seat post looks like it is on backwards and you are probably at the end of the angle adjustment range. Remove seat, rotate seat post 180 degrees, put the seat back on. When the bolt(s?) holding the seat on the post is loose the seat post head should be able to move.

·
nubee
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
perttime said:
If my eyes don't deceive me... the seat post looks like it is on backwards and you are probably at the end of the angle adjustment range. Remove seat, rotate seat post 180 degrees, put the seat back on. When the bolt(s?) holding the seat on the post is loose the seat post head should be able to move.
Thanks a lot, that could very well be the case.

·
Registered
342 Posts
gubmentcheze said:
OK, so here is my other bike that I'm considering fixing if the pantera gets too costly. Is this bike salvageable?
I would take the fork, brakes, and brake levers off of it and put em on the Pantera.

·
In Transit
924 Posts
mudlover71 said:
I would take the fork, brakes, and brake levers off of it and put em on the Pantera.
+1

Maybe do all of the work yourself if you're mechanically inclined and then have the LBS do the final setup and check over your work.

·
MTB skillz = NADA
724 Posts
I'm not sure the ride would be very comfortable on the GT. Nothing like sitting on a vertical bar...ouch!

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
It is hard to tell how good or bad the other bike is. A rusty chain is not the end of the world...

How's the wheels and brakes on that one? Maybe the cables did not enjoy being outside for a year?

Obviously, that chain is not going to shift too good...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts