Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, not sure if I am in the right spot. I will soon have some extra money to buy on a mountain bike. I have ridden bmx for about 8 years, pretty much exclusively doing dirt jumps. The thing keeping me out of mtb has always been money. I am in the market (which I heard has been rough) for a decent mountain bike that I can continue to hit the jumps on, but also hit some trails. Dirt jumpers seem to be more of a one-trick pony to me, and so there would be no point in getting one if I can do the same thing on my bmx. Right now I have in my head some sort of 27.5" aggressive hardtail. If you could give any recommendations please let me know!

· Registered
Obsessively progressing
285 Posts
Hello all, not sure if I am in the right spot. I will soon have some extra money to buy on a mountain bike. I have ridden bmx for about 8 years, pretty much exclusively doing dirt jumps. The thing keeping me out of mtb has always been money. I am in the market (which I heard has been rough) for a decent mountain bike that I can continue to hit the jumps on, but also hit some trails. Dirt jumpers seem to be more of a one-trick pony to me, and so there would be no point in getting one if I can do the same thing on my bmx. Right now I have in my head some sort of 27.5" aggressive hardtail. If you could give any recommendations please let me know!
Marin San Quentin 3 is based on the Alcatraz dirt jumper but is an actual trail bike. Frames are cheap if you build one, complete bikes are around $2400 I believe.

Ragley makes some great aggressive 27.5 bikes as well, so does nukeproof. Across the pond they seem to still ride 27.5 more than we do…?

I am not completely up on every bike out there like some of these guys. Consider watching Hardtail Party on YouTube as he has reviewed scores of HT’s

· Registered
107 Posts
So many tasty hard tails around, if you can get your hands on one! Some of these are 29er only, some are wheel size dependant on frame size, some are available in all sizes in each wheel size.

Canyon Stoic
RSD Middlechild
Esker Japhy
Pipedream Sirius
Marin El Roy
Marin San Quentin
Stif Squatch
Orange Crush
Kona Honzo
Nukeproof Scout
Chromag Primer (or anything they make really)
Santa Cruz Chameleon
Yeti ARC

I am about to take delivery of a Scout myself.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Marin San Quentin 3 is based on the Alcatraz dirt jumper but is an actual trail bike. Frames are cheap if you build one, complete bikes are around $2400 I believe.

Ragley makes some great aggressive 27.5 bikes as well, so does nukeproof. Across the pond they seem to still ride 27.5 more than we do…?

I am not completely up on every bike out there like some of these guys. Consider watching Hardtail Party on YouTube as he has reviewed scores of HT’s
I was actually looking at the San Quentin because Matt Jones uses that thing for some serious bmx style jumps but also hits trails on it, I guess that sponsorship works for Marin!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.