Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Just thought I would say "Hello". New to the trails here and have been learning a lot from just browsing around and looking at online maps, etc.

My wife and I will be hitting some trails this year. Pretty excited about getting out there.

Picked up a couple bikes, nothing fancy, but should be ok for the light trails I hope.

Trek 4300 and a Trek Cali S.

Phil's trail system seems to be the "Go-To" place. I know a few more technical places in that system to shy away from based on the maps, but is it generally beginner friendly? Mrazek looks nice too. I know to stay away from the trails after rains, etc. Dont want to add any damage.

DRT seems real noob friendly...

Horse Butte and Smith rock beginner friendly? Have not looked much into those yet. Seems those are the places to go when Phil's is wet.

I know to yield to riders coming "up hill" when we are going down.

Slowly picking up trail repair stuff. Tubes, patch kit, tire spoons, multi tool with chain tool, quick chain links, first aid, etc.

Looking forward to getting out there. Take it easy on us! ;)

Any other pointers/advice for us?

Thanks!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Welcome to Bend.

Phil's trail: very beginner friendly. There are some techy places but when you are starting out you probably won't find them for a while.

Mrazek is pretty beginner friendly depending on where you start. There are some techy sections between phil's and shevlin and out of shevlin as well. But the majority of the trail is pretty easy going.

DRT is easy for the most part. There is also a pretty long techy section and a couple short one's.

Horse Butte easy. good place for riding when west side trails is wet. Maston also very easy and good when other places are wet (in general).

smith. easy in the park but you have 5 billion hikers. You stop constantly. but if you do grey butte you will probably be hurtin as a newbie. 20 mile trip with 3000 ft of climbing.

start slow, 5 mile loop type stuff, and gradually go up from there. Youre ass and legs will come around within a couple weeks and you will have more fun and be able to ride further with less effort.

·
Afric Pepperbird
4,752 Posts
The local trail alliance, COTA, has a valuable website. Here is a list of a brief synopsis of the trails.

Consider becoming a member!

Hey everyone. Just thought I would say "Hello". New to the trails here and have been learning a lot from just browsing around and looking at online maps, etc.

My wife and I will be hitting some trails this year. Pretty excited about getting out there.

Picked up a couple bikes, nothing fancy, but should be ok for the light trails I hope.

Trek 4300 and a Trek Cali S.

Phil's trail system seems to be the "Go-To" place. I know a few more technical places in that system to shy away from based on the maps, but is it generally beginner friendly? Mrazek looks nice too. I know to stay away from the trails after rains, etc. Dont want to add any damage.

DRT seems real noob friendly...

Horse Butte and Smith rock beginner friendly? Have not looked much into those yet. Seems those are the places to go when Phil's is wet.

I know to yield to riders coming "up hill" when we are going down.

Slowly picking up trail repair stuff. Tubes, patch kit, tire spoons, multi tool with chain tool, quick chain links, first aid, etc.

Looking forward to getting out there. Take it easy on us! ;)

Any other pointers/advice for us?

Thanks!

·
Afric Pepperbird
4,752 Posts
Or, just stick around for awhile and enjoy the trails. You'll become a much better rider soon. I know I did, without any extra help.

·
Registered
53 Posts
jspansel - There are a number of scheduled group rides available throughout the summer. Pine Mountain Sports and the Hub Cyclery both have options. If you are willing to drive north a bit - Trinity Bikes in Redmond has 50+ road, CX and MTB rides on the calendar, almost all of them are a no-drop pace. We also just added four women's only rides, both road and MTB.

Shoot me a message if you'd like more info. -Brian

Trinity Bikes, Bicycles in Redmond Oregon

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ah, I love Bend! Got to ride there last Spring and it's totally epic (I'm a Los Angeles native). Probably one of the coolest cities in USA :)

I think we rode the Phil's Trail System - here's one of the segments we did: Strava Segment | Phis / Flying Chicken / KGB / Marvin's - that entire area is pretty basic riding and you can get lost for days back there! We did a 16 mile ride and never once double backed on the trail. It was beautiful. I have a local taking me around, and from what I experienced there's no real standard direction so you have to watch for other riders.

As far as LBS I highly recommend Pine Mountain. Pine Mountain Sports - Bend, OR | Yelp

I guess they convert to ski shop during the winter season.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah, I love Bend! Got to ride there last Spring and it's totally epic (I'm a Los Angeles native). Probably one of the coolest cities in USA :)

I think we rode the Phil's Trail System - here's one of the segments we did: Strava Segment | Phis / Flying Chicken / KGB / Marvin's - that entire area is pretty basic riding and you can get lost for days back there! We did a 16 mile ride and never once double backed on the trail. It was beautiful. I have a local taking me around, and from what I experienced there's no real standard direction so you have to watch for other riders.

As far as LBS I highly recommend Pine Mountain. Pine Mountain Sports - Bend, OR | Yelp

I guess they convert to ski shop during the winter season.

Thanks. Yeah, Pine Mountain is where we bought my wife's bike. Very helpful and super friendly staff there!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thinking about trying Maston Sunday if the weather stays decent... Seems its ok and accepted to ride on in iffy conditions because of the soil type without doing damage to it? I'll keep an eye on the conditions thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Peterson Ridge in Sisters is a good option. Lots of turn arounds and easy terrain.

Hutches has some free skills clinics this year at the 7th Mountain Resort pump track.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts