Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine gave me a Mongoose Blackcomb that he rode three times. He is not into bikes that much. I have ridden motorcycles since I was 2 and BMX since I was 8, but I have never tried riding mountain bikes except on roads. I am 24 now and I am going to get into it. I just dont know the first thing about whats good and whats not good. From what I read this bike does not have much support by anyone. I just wanted to know if it is a ok learning bike. I am very crazy and will try anything. You should see my medical bill LOL. Once I start breaking things should I upgrade parts or just get a whole new bike. I do not have the money at this time to buy a brand new bike, but I am heading up to the mountains this weekend and plan to do some crazy suff. Fun stuff like drops and a whole lot of speed. So if I live through it any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
Go ahead and ride it until the wheels fall off or until you have some money to buy a decent hardtail. I probably wouldn't bother upgrading the parts on that bike as it would just be a waste of money. It costs a lot of money to upgrade parts and you are better off just buying a new bike eventually with the parts you want. Depending on where you will be riding and what type of riding you are going to be doing you might be better off with a hardtail when you build up your skills. Anyways, let us know how the trip turns out.

·
spec4life???..smh...
1,091 Posts
Man one of my riden buddies sister bought one of them things and they are a chunk of lead. Slow and heavy and that front disc is just for looks cause it sure wont stop ya. OH and grip shifters and 26x2.3 tires.....have fun on it and save your money for a real bike i wouldnt even consider upgrading it. Itll get you down the trail but thats about it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well ill see how long the bike will last, but I will make sure either the bike brakes or I brake before I leave. I will try to get video of the crash because they always say I crash with grace.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have been on a blackcomb for a few months....i love it!!!!yes i said it!!!!!
i mean yeah its cheap and heavy but ditch the kickstand get some better pedals and have fun....
my chain half broke and ate the cheap azz altus but a new deore and its good again....
as far as a 10' drop idk i have hit some 4'-5' drops but 10 might be a little much....
the rims are extremely cheap...i have warped my front from a small crash prolly 3 foot....
but upgrades can be found cheap just be patent watch ebay and any classifieds and you can fix her up ......

as for the brakes they are awesome!!!!!! thats if they are adjusted right.....
my front brakes have no problem throwing all 160lbs of me over the bars

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My motto has always been go big or go home so if it cant stand a 10 foot drop then I need to get something that will handle it because I plant to have fun. Plus I am used to hitting 90 foot jumps on a dirt bike and 10 foot jumps on bmx bikes so a 10 foot drop does not seem to be too big to me. Please tell me if im wrong as I said I am new to mountain bikes.

·
Registered
145 Posts
insaneman12 if you look closly at the stickers near the bottom bracket on that bike one will say not for off road use, and for a good reason, you hit anything over a 3 foot drop at speed with that bike and it's going to come apart with you on it, i hate to burst your bubble but i had one of those, and the same mentality, it lasted me 2 months, the swing arm broke, the fork stoped working correctly and allmost all the components busted apart or stoped working,

use the bike for slow speed technical stuff, but for the love of god dont hit the big drops or bomb the hills with it,

·
AKA Dr.Nob
887 Posts
This may turn in to a novel but hear me out.

The Mongoose Blackcomb, first thing first, this is not a mountain bike. This is the perfect example of what is known as a "Bike Shaped Object (BSO)". BSOs are generally sold in dept. stores, legally categorized as "toys". This allows the store to sell a product that does not have to pass the same design rules as a real bike. Thus, whilst a BSO might look like a bike, it is sold as a TOY (Walmart website lists it under TOY not sporting goods - http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4698935)

Now this bike will work if all you want to do is roll around in the park with a couple of 6 year olds (although probably not for that long) it is so inappropriate for what you want to do you might as well take one of the 6 year olds bikes instead.

I an going to put this as plainly as I can:

That bike will break if you go hard on downhills or drops.

Maybe you will get lucky and a wheel will taco because this generally stops the wheel turning in the frame, giving you a chance to control the bike.

If the fork collapses, the frame snaps or one of the cranks comes off when landing a 10 foot drop then, well, in a fight between metal and flesh, metal almost always wins.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=395715&page=1
One of the posters in the long thread posted above had his hamstring slashed when the spring on the shock broke.

I will say it again: If a rider tried to do what you want to do on a Mongoose Blackcomb it will break. Parts will fail when under high stress, right when you want them to work.

Put another way: Ride that bike like you described and your medical bill will become more impressive.

·
responsible zombie owner
654 Posts
as the last two posters said, do even smallish drops and the bike will break and break you with it.

find a bike fit for the purposes you describe. if you have moto experience and want to go large straight away then don't start by riding that mongoose.

·
Registered
145 Posts
the best option for you is just save your money for a good long time, shop around and buy a decent FS, scan craigslist get to know the local bike shops and riders, i guarentee you some one out there has a good full suspention that you could afford with a little sacrafice and saving, and once you start jumping with out the fear of getting messed up or breaking the bike, it will be well worth it,

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Would you trust any cycle with a motor on a 90 foot jump? How about a mo-ped or scooter? Maybe not the greatest analogy, but close...

·
Registered
7 Posts
im not easy on my blackcomb by any means...that being said im a lighter rider 150ish...
i have been on some 17 mile rides in oak mountain lots of high speed down hill stuff...
the shock arnt that bad for bumps and rocks and such.the drop we have hit dont have landing ramps.as for the 90ft bike jumps and 10 foot bmx jumps,i am referring to drops not distance.but if you got it free go out and ride it.if you stick with it save and get a better bike.as for upgrades its not like you cant take them off the mongoose and put them on whatever you buy in the future

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the advice. I guss ill take it a step at a time and see hou much it will take. I plan on finding a good slope to land on and I should be able to land smoothly. I took a good look at the rims and I hink they will fold by the time I break the frame. I took it today on a couple of BMX jumps and it took a 4 foot tall 6 foot long tabletop just fine, but I ride BMX very smoothly because I have done it for so long. I will see if I can use those skill in the hills rather than on a track. I will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
U all were right that bike SUCKS. First I was haulin a$$ down a hill and the front brake cable did something weird and it locked up the from end. With the disk brakes I had no where to go except over the handle bars. Then I hit a 4 foot drop to only have the rear rim fold on me. Plus it was a monster to try to climb the hills on it, but very fast going down. Now I will be in the market for a good bike. I perfer something with full suspension and strong. I want to be able to down hill on it and still hit some drops. I am moving to Oregon soon and want to get into mountain biking, but I need a bike that will take the speed and jumps. Anybody have any advice on which brands I should start doing some reaserch on. I would like to have strength and durability in both parts and frame. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
up to 3-4k. I dont have the money right now I just want to start looking to see how much I will need to save. I spend about 10-20k a year on bikes so I will plan to put some of it toward a good mountain bike.

·
jalopy jockey
551 Posts
redwrxtr said:
as for the brakes they are awesome!!!!!! thats if they are adjusted right.....
my front brakes have no problem throwing all 160lbs of me over the bars
My kid's coater brake can throw me OTB if I go for bad form. Or I can stay planted on a 45 MPH paved downhill panic stop on my ride. Don't know the brakes on the Blackcomb, just sayin' OBT is a sign of the rider skill not the brakes power, sure more power will throw more people, but with proper technique no amount of power will send you OTB.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.