Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,my name is brian and after a long time of wanting to start roadbiking,i realized that living in the mountains of western maryland would make mountain biking a much more fun choice.so i acquired this rockhopper.

i posted over on the beginners corner and they gave me some info,said it was possibly a 92 or 93,but also directed me here.so does anyone know much about this bike?im also wanting to upgrade parts,because for one itll help me learn more about bikes and two ive always loved projects.so any advice on that would be greatly appreciated:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome Brian,
you got it right sending a pic, but now learn that if you send 1 pic make sure that it is of drive train side of the bike so we can see the derailleurs and crank set to help ID the bike.
Looks like the stem ( were the handle bars attach to) is out to far unless that is some kind of extention?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
looks to me like a nice first rider. Don't worry too much about upgrading parts unless they break. First focus on learning how to keep what you have in tune. A bike that stops and shifts and works well, is a pleasure to ride. :)

If you develop the passion and desire after goofing around with this bike, continue to use it as your rider and find a top line mass produced bike to restore (say a Specialized Stumpjumper since your first bike after all is a Specialized and now you will forever have brand loyalty). ;)

When you finish that project and realize there were 8 gazillion Stumpies made and they are great riders but not all that unique, you will be ready. Browse through the archives here and decide what boutique frames turn you on. Set up your ebay account with a few of these frames in your saved keyword searches. Don't get excited the first time you get a ping. After all you still have the Rockhopper to ride. Hold out for a frame in your size that has decent paint. Try to find one within a year of your Stumpy project. Buy the frame that excites you and transfer as many of the Stumpy parts over to it. Sell the Stumpy frame on the local Clist to fund missing parts (seatpost, top pull FD, whatever wasn't compatible).:D

Repeat until garage is full.:madman:

I still hae my Fisher HooKooEKoo hanging in the garage. My primary rider back in the late 80's. I have not personally ridden it in a few decades, but I certainly have loaned that bike out to inlaws, neighbors, acquaintances, and a slew of different kids more than any other ride.
I have never upgraded its parts but just kept it in tune and replaced what needed replacing over the years. It also is a place I go when I need a quick spare part that isn't in my parts box. :rolleyes:

Enjoy the journey. :thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts