Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just joined the site. Been reading through a bunch of threads, particularly the UberV one..That's not the direction I'm looking to take..

Here's the deal, I scored a free '99 Super V 1000 from a colleague who had it sitting in her garage for years...Overall the bike is in relatively good shape, normal wear and tear for one of this vintage, but it still looks good. Cleaned it off, replaced the chain and checked the shocks, they seem good. Brakes work well which is important..

This is really just going to be a cruiser for me to ride around the neighborhood, maybe the occasional trail, but that's all. Basically, I'd like to upgrade the crankset..There are some teeth missing on the main crank and the cassette looks to be shot..

I've rebuilt engines, so I'm pretty handy mechanically. Basically I'm looking for recommendations on a new crankset and cassette..Links would be great. Not looking to break the bank, just want to make it a reliable rider.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I literally replaced the tubes and tires, cleaned and serviced the chain, cassette etc. replaced the seat and adjusted height. made sure the headstock was inflated to the listed psi for my weight. And just rode my super v 500. You can get lost in the threads/opinions of old technology, etc etc etc….I just made sure everything worked and serviced the bike. It’s still in rotation today. The bike is old. So am I? Much older, in fact. We’re even.

Still a fun bike to ride. Mine is stock, less pedals. I still have the originals. And I still run rim brakes on mine.

Meldon cyclesmith for headshok rebuild if it’s shot. I’m a satisfied customer of theirs.

Your chain ring and cassette can be replaced easily. eBay, old school local bike shop, Amazon,

My .02. Your mileage may vary…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @bpd315..I started going down a couple of those rabbit holes and promptly pumped the brakes..Just want a bike I can tool around on and this one was free, so even if I put a couple hundred into it, no big deal...

We've got a good bike shop up the road, I was lucky enough to time it right and the guy put a new chain on it, but they're two weeks out from being able to do a full service..

I figure I can do the cassette and chain ring myself, just need someone to tell me what to buy..links to specific products would be great.

·
Registered
'92 M700, '94 Delta V 600, '94 Super V 2000, '01 Jekyll 2000, '04 Jekyll 1000 ,
34 Posts
Great "garage" find bike!

I hope one of the other more knowledgeable members post something soon to help you. It's far to easy to go crazy and find yourself in over your head. I almost did it recently myself and was talked back from the lip of the rabbit hole I was about to leap deep into.

You should be able to find both a NEW crankset and cassette for around $100-120 combined. Which in today's world is pretty reasonable

Reactions: JAXJER

·
slow
8,165 Posts
It looks like you need an 8 speed cassette and two chainrings with a 5-bolt 110mm bolt spacing pattern to match what you have. On the front, you have a 29 tooth and 44 tooth chainrings. Try to match those sizes if you can. If not, you can use different size chainrings as long as the difference between sizes is no more than 15 teeth and less difference would be better. You won't find a chainring with 110mm bolt circle smaller than a 29. For your cassette count the number of teeth on the smallest and biggest cogs and relace with similar. That crank was unusual for a MTB at the time because they used a double chainring setup instead of a triple to save a bit of weight, but that limited the gearing a bit.

8 speed Cassette
or others:

Chainrings
or others:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It looks like you need an 8 speed cassette and two chainrings with a 5-bolt 110mm bolt spacing pattern to match what you have. On the front, you have a 29 tooth and 44 tooth chainrings. Try to match those sizes if you can. If not, you can use different size chainrings as long as the difference between sizes is no more than 15 teeth and less difference would be better. You won't find a chainring with 110mm bolt circle smaller than a 29. For your cassette count the number of teeth on the smallest and biggest cogs and relace with similar. That crank was unusual for a MTB at the time because they used a double chainring setup instead of a triple to save a bit of weight, but that limited the gearing a bit.

8 speed Cassette
or others:

Chainrings
or others:
Thanks @sgltrak that's what exactly I was looking for. Will a 36 tooth small chain ring be an ok combo with a 48 tooth large chain ring?

Small chain ring..

Large chain ring..would it make a difference if I went up a couple of teeth to the 46 or 48, I'm guessing not, and what about the measurement, it's 3/32 right?

This is what I have for the cassette..

I'm also ordering new chain ring bolts..assuming I need the doubles..

Thanks again for all the help.

Attachments

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,429 Posts
Nice score!

FYI, you have the most breakage prone swing arm, Cannondale ever made, out back.

Check for cracks, frequently, and don't ride it if you have any. I'd try to source one like Taildraggers blue one on the Raven they posted.

It was free, so I don't feel bad just being direct. :D

I'd also toss out, (as a small business owner, but also consumer of goods in this world) that while the pandemic has made parts tough to find, unless we as consumers, choose to purchase at places other than Amazon, soon, there will be no other places to buy from.

Besides, Bezos already went to space on our consumeristic tendencies, how much more money are we gonna give him?

Also, Wolftooth makes a 110mm 5 bolt narrow wide ring, so you can keep the crank and go to a 1X drivetrain out back too, companies like Box, and Microshift offer full set ups for not too much $. Or, ride it as is, unless the new chain is making it skip on worn stuff, but those rings don't look bad.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,829 Posts
In the OP, it looks like the "missing" teeth on the chainring are just shifter teeth. They help the chain move up or down.
The chainring you listed is probably for a narrow-wide application (1x/single ring) and will not shift well.
I do like the bike, tho. Hang on to it.

-F

PS - I am a big fan of Vuelta chain rings. Vuelta Mtn Flat Chainring 104BCD - 32T Black
I think the Vuelta SE rings have rivets that help shifting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Nice score!

FYI, you have the most breakage prone swing arm, Cannondale ever made, out back.

Check for cracks, frequently, and don't ride it if you have any. I'd try to source one like Taildraggers blue one on the Raven they posted.

It was free, so I don't feel bad just being direct. :D

I'd also toss out, (as a small business owner, but also consumer of goods in this world) that while the pandemic has made parts tough to find, unless we as consumers, choose to purchase at places other than Amazon, soon, there will be no other places to buy from.

Besides, Bezos already went to space on our consumeristic tendencies, how much more money are we gonna give him?

Also, Wolftooth makes a 110mm 5 bolt narrow wide ring, so you can keep the crank and go to a 1X drivetrain out back too, companies like Box, and Microshift offer full set ups for not too much $. Or, ride it as is, unless the new chain is making it skip on worn stuff, but those rings don't look bad.
Your directness is appreciated @MendonCycleSmith, and you're totally right about Amazon. unfortunately, sometimes it's easier, but we have a really good bike shop up the road who put the chain on for me, so I'll more than likely have them do the work...

"Also, Wolftooth makes a 110mm 5 bolt narrow wide ring, so you can keep the crank and go to a 1X drivetrain out back"

I'm still new to the MTB terminology..what is a "narrow wide ring" ?

You can't really see it from the pics but the chain is skipping on the the worn ring and some of the teeth are actually broken on the larger one.

Is there a company who sells replacement swing arms, or do I just need to source one from a later model??

Thank again.

·
Ridin' dirty!
2,284 Posts
I'm still new to the MTB terminology..what is a "narrow wide ring" ?
It's a chainring designed to be used in a single configuration on your crankset.
As the name implies, the teeth are in an alternating fashion "narrow" and "wide" to fit into the narrow and wider links of your chain respectively, to help reduce wear, help chain retention and to also run quieter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
slow
8,165 Posts

Yes, this.
As a former owner of LBS and small business person myself, I was not promoting a purchase from Amazon but rather using the easy link as an example of what to search for. I can count on one hand the number of times I've made purchases I've from Amazon and still have fingers left over.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,429 Posts
Glad others feel similarly, feels kinda lonely sometimes, not just buying everything from them. Hey, if no one else has something, I'll still hit eBay first and often get lucky, sadly, Amazon based sellers have started infecting that too.

Swingarms, no, you'll need to source one used, there's no aftermarket supplier or source for them, go fish.

Worth noting, it's a newer design, and the older ones off Super V's will not work with your shock. Their tabs sit forward of the tube that the front derailleur is mounted on, note that yours, the mounting point is behind it.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
It looks like you need an 8 speed cassette and two chainrings with a 5-bolt 110mm bolt spacing pattern to match what you have.
This is decidedly not correct. Smallest ring possible on 110mm 5-arm bcd is 33T. Since this crankset is a 44/29 it most likely matches 94mm 5-arm bcd. This was an early 2x drivetrain which was somewhat popular in racing scene in the early 2000s.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey guys, so after two weeks at the bike shop all they replaced was one of the pulleys on the back..It had a crack in it..the crank set I needed was out of stock through the company they order from. They're obviously super-busy, but not too busy that the guy couldn't spend 30 minutes talking to me this morning..Turns out I also need a lower bracket, mine is making a knocking sound and they didn't have those in stock either. so I asked what my options were.

The guys at the shop are really nice, the tech said if I ordered the set and brought it in, they'd install for me..

So, I need to know where I can find the following..

Crank set 172.5 mm, 9 speed with a square taper spindle.

Can anyone point me to a link where I can order one? Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.