Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Flight Junkie
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the Seven Duo 29er off of the mtbr classifieds (frame only). I really love the way this bike rides. It is very efficient and does not bob at all while standing. It soaks up the trail real well. I am happy with the weight (26.2 lbs built up). It is a point and shoot riding frame. It was just too good of a deal to pass up. I built it from the parts off my Sycip FS frame. Chris King/Stans wheels (tubeless with Ignitors). Sram XO, Marta SL 180's. Reba at 100mm, XTR Cranks, Thompson post and stem. I had a custom Seven bar made which I love (27" by 16 degrees sweep).

Attachments

·
College
1,198 Posts
i never understood the point of that rear suspension type. It seems like the cranks would move with the suspension as well...

·
Something goes here...
2,067 Posts
Sweet! Mark was telling me about it Tuesday. I'm sure I'll see ya on it sometime soon.

·
Flight Junkie
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seat tube

drc said:
That's a beauty! Is it an optical contusion or is that seat tube really slack?
It is the Maverick design, and yes it's very slack. Doesn't seem to affect handling though (the bike is a great riding FS design). Lot's of happy Maverick riders out there.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,356 Posts
I'll be curious to see how the performance compares with the Sycip. I think I might have buyer's remorse, I'm loving my Curtlo so much, but to each his own. If you haven't sold it yet, you could switch stuff back if it doesn't work out.

I think the Mav design is better for riders that prefer standing climbing to seated, but really know very little about it, and have only demoed and disliked a Klein Palamino which has a similar design. Lots of folks love it as you noted.

Gorgeous fabrication and build.

Happy trails.

·
Flight Junkie
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ride

No buyer's remorse here. I really like the way the suspension works. It is great standing and seated. Overall it feels as plush as the Sycip, but more effecient (quicker accelerating and still as plush to bumps). Their both great frames and each would be a joy to own. It seems that there is very small differences in top end frames and you can hardly go wrong these days.

Enel said:
I'll be curious to see how the performance compares with the Sycip. I think I might have buyer's remorse, I'm loving my Curtlo so much, but to each his own. If you haven't sold it yet, you could switch stuff back if it doesn't work out.

I think the Mav design is better for riders that prefer standing climbing to seated, but really know very little about it, and have only demoed and disliked a Klein Palamino which has a similar design. Lots of folks love it as you noted.

Gorgeous fabrication and build.

Happy trails.

·
College
1,198 Posts
Hey you know what, i have a silver reba too and i really liked how your bike looks so im going to copy your color scheme. =)

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Enel said:
I've ridden both a Klein and a Maverick. I hated the Klein like you. Something was just....off....about it, ya know? I couldn't quite put my finger on it to tell you the truth. There was just something about the set-up about it I guess. To take that bit futher, I've never actually like ANY Klein I've ridden.

Now the Maverick however. Damn. LOVED it. The way the suspension worked, really complimented the way I ride. I said it before when the original owner posted this up, and I'll say it again. This is the ONLY Seven I'd ever pony up for. ESPECAILLY since it comes in the 29" format. Yummy bike man. Love it.

·
Insanity later
346 Posts
Wow I had no idea Seven made a 29er version of the Maverick design. I wonder how long the chainstays are?? I always assumed that would limit the Maverick design for 29er use.

The EFFECTIVE Seat angle is not actually that slack. I own an XL Maverick ML7/5 and the effective seat angle is around 71 degrees. That's because the seat-tube is forward to the Bottom bracket. Of course the effective seatangle does change with changes in seat height. Probably my only complaint about an otherwise great design.

The bottom bracket movement is so miniscule as to be hardly noticeable, particularly with the newer designs where maverick moved the BB further forward on the link.

·
ali'i hua
1,796 Posts
wow. so i'm not the only one out there! btw- i googled "seven duo 29er" a while ago and I think this bike came up- i do know that it was in arizona.

cheers to another rare steed!

to answer "serentiy now"s question about chainstays, the real numbers are scary- they measure in at about 18.5 inches, but about 1" of that is part of the rocker.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts