Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share a few pictures of my recent acquisition. I picked up this very lightly used overdrive. I've done a few things to it. new pedals, saddle, grips, tires, front mud guard and brakes.

I am really excited to take it to my local trails. It has been a while since I've had a bike to ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After taking this bike out on my local trails the past 3 weeks in a row, I’ve noticed that my large chainring is pretty chewed up.

I am contemplating converting this to a 1x drivetrain.

Can anyone suggest any components to accomplish this?

·
Registered
325 Posts
There’s a bunch of forum posts (and probably YouTube videos) on conversions. What crank is on it now? Is it 2x or 3x?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It currently has a 2x crank on it. FSA Comet crankset. I don't know if I want to replace the entire set. Or just find a new chainring.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Basically all you should need is a new chainring and shorter chainring bolts. You should get a narrow-wide chainring in the proper size for your crankset. This link states your Bolt Circle Diameter (BCD) as 96. I am not sure if that is your exct crankset but, if not, you'll need to find your BCD.

I also found the following video which appears to apply to your exact situation. Good luck!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for helping with the research.
I would really like to try out an oval chainring. I'm going to see what I can find.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually called Jenson yesterday for a little bit of help finding an oval chainring that I could mount on my FSA Crankset. There are non available that are compatible with the spider, or the direct mount pattern on this crankset.

So to be able to get an oval ring, I would actually have to replace my crankset. The guy at Jenson was also telling me that I would have to replace my BB as well.

It doesn't seem right that my existing BB wouldn't be compatible with a different crank.

Either way, I am just going to keep running my current setup and then eventually changeover to a 1x12 with an oval chainring. I know people will probably say that this bike isn't worth all that $ in upgrades. But to replace this bike would cost a lot more money.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All of their 96 BCD elliptical rings are for shimano. The Shimano Cranks have a rectangular bolt pattern. whereas the FSA spider a square pattern.
The chainrings aren't in terrible condition. I think I was mainly looking for an excuse to buy new parts again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have found that absoluteBLACK makes oval chainrings for direct mount FSA/Cannondale cranks. I wasn't aware that Cannondale and FSA used the same direct mount pattern.
I've ordered a 30T oval from absoluteBLACK. As well as the SRAM NX/GX Eagle 11-50t Groupset from Worldwide cyclery.

There are some really steep sections of the trails I ride that I can't even consider trying to pedal up with my current setup.(lowest gear being 26t chainring x 36t cog. Hopefully after the upgrade I won't have too much trouble at all. I can always swap the chainring for something smaller if needed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still waiting for parts to show up. It is taking 8+ days for USPS to get from lancaster pa. To Buffalo ny...

The package was in Buffalo on Tuesday. Then for some reason it went to queens, and then meandered its way back to this corner of the state

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Received all of my parts this Monday. Installed them and am waiting to take the bike out this weekend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts