Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just picked up a used Gary fisher sugar 4+ rides pretty well, did a full teardown cleaning and regrease today. its in great shape looks like it was a wall piece instead of a ridden bike. bike is pretty much stock. looking to upgrade to disk brakes and maybe tubeless tires.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Congrats on the buy! I picked up a 2004 Gary Fisher Tassajara last fall and I love it. The quality of the bike really impresses me.

I thought about going tubeless but I'm really happy with the tubed Kenda Slant 6's I just put on, and for the type of riding I do tubes suit me fine.

Happy riding! Spring is finally here at long last. Have fun!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Does it really make sense to pour much money into a 10 year old bike?

Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i realize shes 10 years old but its in basicly new condition, the bushings are great, no signs of part wear at all. being new to oklahoma i want to ride the trails and get to know people around here before i spend 3-4k on a new bike. i think finding a new front fork and upgrading things here and there is a good bet for me, worst case is i would have a good backup bike. thanks for the replies

·
Registered
628 Posts
To go to disk brakes you will need a new wheels set, which is all well and fine because if going tubeless I would strongly recommend a true UST wheel as opposed to ghetto tubeless/conversion.
I know the 2000 frames did not come with disk mounts on the rear "seat stay" if shipped with cantilevers, so double check that.

As in the other thread, personally I would not spend money trying to make that bike something it is not. I have personal experience here with a 2000 Sugar that my wife rides. The only thing stock on her bike is the frame, and no matter how you slice it, the bike is still a cross country bike, and not well suited/comfortable/confidence inspiring to aggressive/steep terrain.

If you cannot control your upgrade-ittus, I would suggest starting with grips, handle bars, stem, seat and pedals. That will at least get you sitting more comfortably on the bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts