Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just switched from Avid BB7's to Avid Juicy 7's. I've avoided hydraulic discs because of the pain of setting them up, and the ease of setup/adjustment of the BB7's. I decided to take the plunge and buy a set of Avid Juicy 7's after reading about how adjustable they are. However, I'm having a problem setting them up.

The Juicy's came new in the box with the pad adjustment knob turned all the way in, so I can only adjust the pad contact point one way. I like my brakes to engage a little quicker, but they're set up right now so the pad engages the rotor almost all the way into the handlebar. And, since it came from the factory set up that way, I can only adjust it in one direction, and that makes it worse. If I turn the pad adjustment knob in the other direction (the only direction I can turn it), the brake lever hits the grip before the pad even touches the rotor.

To make a long story short, I want to adjust the brakes so the pads engage the rotors "quicker", or sooner in the brake lever action. Does anyone know how I can do this? I bought these brakes because they were supposed to be so easily adjusted, but they sure don't seem to be. The BB7's are looking better and better.

·
Bodhisattva
10,866 Posts
crank-87 said:
I just switched from Avid BB7's to Avid Juicy 7's. I've avoided hydraulic discs because of the pain of setting them up, and the ease of setup/adjustment of the BB7's. I decided to take the plunge and buy a set of Avid Juicy 7's after reading about how adjustable they are. However, I'm having a problem setting them up.

The Juicy's came new in the box with the pad adjustment knob turned all the way in, so I can only adjust the pad contact point one way. I like my brakes to engage a little quicker, but they're set up right now so the pad engages the rotor almost all the way into the handlebar. And, since it came from the factory set up that way, I can only adjust it in one direction, and that makes it worse. If I turn the pad adjustment knob in the other direction (the only direction I can turn it), the brake lever hits the grip before the pad even touches the rotor.

To make a long story short, I want to adjust the brakes so the pads engage the rotors "quicker", or sooner in the brake lever action. Does anyone know how I can do this? I bought these brakes because they were supposed to be so easily adjusted, but they sure don't seem to be. The BB7's are looking better and better.
Sounds to me as if the brakes are underfilled with fluid and need a bleed. You can probably get by just by bleeding the master. I understand you're a hydro newbie so don't freak - we've all been there. Any good bike shop can do it, and it's not beyond the home user's capabilities if you don't mind doing it yourself and investing a few bucks in a bleed kit and some DOT fluid.

·
Registered
154 Posts
either a) you have air in the lines and can tap a fair bit of it out (pump the lever quickly while tapping the caliper, line and lever body for ~1min), or b) you need to bleed to adjust the amount of fluid in the system. this process is well described in the manual.

good luck

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's self adjusting. Set it so that you have no braking power because the pads are barely touching the disc when the levers are fully depressed. Now pump the lever again and again. When the pads self adjust and now touches the disc, adjust the pads to come a bit closer to the disc, based on your preferred distance. HTH

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for you help everybody. I just tried doing what angelobryant recommended, and it worked to a point. They did self-adjust a small amount, and now when I have the adjustment knob dialed all the way to the "out" position, the pads contact the rotor in an acceptable range - but still not out far enough. I think I might need to bleed the system and then do what angelobryant described, and then I'll be all set. It did help quite a bit to do the self-adjustment procedure.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
also try to see if the caliper is centered over the rotor...if the distance that one piston moves is a lot greater than the other, the feeling at the lever will be soft.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.