Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 6-3 and about 205#. I have just set my Domane up for gravel with a set of Pathfinder Pro 700x38s set up tubeless. Whats a good weight for low rolling resistance but also keeping rim strikes in mind?

The ENVE chart shows ~45#, that just seems crazy low to me!

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

·
Registered
19,357 Posts
Depends a little on how much you weigh and where you're riding but I think the Enve number is most likely pretty close to right. I checked the Silca site which is pretty cool and inputting 200 total pounds including rider, bike & gear they recommend 43.5/41.5psi (rear/front) for fast group rides on cat. 2 gravel.

Nice bike!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Beautiful bike.... I'm 6' 2"/210# kitted, and have found Enve's pressures to be a good starting place. I run 50/40 in my GK+ Slicks on pavement... lower on gravel. Start with Enve's numbers, and then GRADUALLY lower on the surface you'll be riding/racing, until you start to feel solid tire bottoming and then bump it back up a bit. Wish there was a formula, but in general, as low as you can go without flatting from snakebites. Remember, at these pressures 2 lbs. is a sizeable jump. Get a good gauge. Use it every time. Get to know it... as all gauges are different (unless you want to pay $500 for one that comes with a cal cert...).

Pinarello sponsored their own internal testing with pro riders. High pressures FEEL fast. The correct low pressure IS fast.

Oh... and Race Tape is your downtube's best friend on gravel. You'll thank me at resale time.

·
off to ride
255 Posts
Oh wow. Excellent resources mentioned in this thread. Thank you! I was talking about pressure today on my MTB ride. I was aired up too much on my MTB I found.

but also, helpful for me on my Cutthroat. With 2.2” tires, I’m trying to dial in the right PSi for various rides. I‘m going to be doing a 180 mile trip in a few weeks over three days, and thinking 30# front and back. This will be all pavement - first multi-day trip, so not going crazy off-road and such. weighing about 175, I’ll have some gear, so figuring 180-185 max. Silca gives a really low volume, 22/23. That just seems low for pavement! But….. who knows. I’ll have to try that out on a ride prior and see how it works.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aren't you just south of Atlanta? Heading for Dirty Sheets?
I am now! We just moved to Tyrone from Conyers. I am close enough to ride to Dirty Sheets, do the loop and then ride home. About a 40 mile 50/50 (pavement/gravel) route.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I am 6-3 and about 205#. I have just set my Domane up for gravel with a set of Pathfinder Pro 700x38s set up tubeless. Whats a good weight for low rolling resistance but also keeping rim strikes in mind?

View attachment 1947457
That seems reasonable with my experience. A favorite LBS here sets up Domane with even wider tires and that would be my suggestion for the long-term. They got a bunch of frame-only builds and used Aeolus V with GR1 tires that fit better than I expected so you could likely go bigger. I have that combo in a different frame and am impressed with how well it straddles on and off pavement riding.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That seems reasonable with my experience. A favorite LBS here sets up Domane with even wider tires and that would be my suggestion for the long-term. They got a bunch of frame-only builds and used Aeolus V with GR1 tires that fit better than I expected so you could likely go bigger. I have that combo in a different frame and am impressed with how well it straddles on and off pavement riding.
Yeah I ordered the Pathfinder 700x42 by mistake then ordered a set of 700x38. I mounted the 38s and there's a LOT of space left. Once day when I feel like messing with the sealant, I may mount and test fit the 42s.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Yeah I ordered the Pathfinder 700x42 by mistake then ordered a set of 700x38. I mounted the 38s and there's a LOT of space left. Once day when I feel like messing with the sealant, I may mount and test fit the 42s.
Depending on your riding...... I would accelerate that test or if you can return them try some other 40ish mm sooner than later. I have not found the larger tires on pavement to have any negative aspects relative to the positive. Especially if you are aiming for control, comfort and long hours in the saddle. For example, 40 mm tires aren't leaving me in the dust if I do a casual ride with friends on 28-32 mm road tires but they're left in the dust if pavement is bad or we hit a gravel segment. A more upright frame like your Domane with comfy tires has translated to I can sit on a bike hours more.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Depending on your riding...... I would accelerate that test or if you can return them try some other 40ish mm sooner than later. I have not found the larger tires on pavement to have any negative aspects relative to the positive. Especially if you are aiming for control, comfort and long hours in the saddle. For example, 40 mm tires aren't leaving me in the dust if I do a casual ride with friends on 28-32 mm road tires but they're left in the dust if pavement is bad or we hit a gravel segment. A more upright frame like your Domane with comfy tires has translated to I can sit on a bike hours more.
This has been my experience as well.....

I forgot to ask what iW your rims are. Mine are 25mm and my 700 x 38c GK+ slicks measure a solid 41mm... more volume = lower pressure. The GK+'s are great for most mixed surface rides with tame gravel. When we get into roads and trails with moraine, we have 650b x 47's for that and boy are those comfy by comparison, but still almost as fast on pavement as the GK+ Slicks which are really only slower than my old GP5000 700 x 32c on climbs (and that is probably the extra weight).

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
This has been my experience as well.....

I forgot to ask what iW your rims are. Mine are 25mm and my 700 x 38c GK+ slicks measure a solid 41mm... more volume = lower pressure. The GK+'s are great for most mixed surface rides with tame gravel. When we get into roads and trails with moraine, we have 650b x 47's for that and boy are those comfy by comparison, but still almost as fast on pavement as the GK+ Slicks which are really only slower than my old GP5000 700 x 32c on climbs (and that is probably the extra weight).
Good points.

My 40 mm tires are on 25 mm inner Aeolus V (Bongtrager) wheels. I have Rene Hearse knobby in 48 and 55 mm that have been on 21 and 25 inner width rims and they work better at lower pressure on the wider rims.

I've also ridden my Routt 45 (Moots) with same tires 40 mm GR1 tires on 19.5 inner 25 mm inner width wheels. Wide inner width rims can really make a difference if you want both on and off pavement capabilities. As fantastic as the Routt 45 is, wow do you get something with wide and light wheels.

·
Human Test Subject
1,486 Posts
I'm 200ish and start at 40 psi and ride until they feel funny.

Depending on the tires they might be a few PSI higher at the start of a long ride than at the end. Not sure about yours, but this is common with higher end super supple tires.

·
off to ride
255 Posts
@bitflogger - what PSI are you running when you have the 55mm on the 25 inner width rims? Just so I have a comparison…i know there's a lot to consider with weight as well, but just to see what you are riding at if you are on a rougher pavement ride? My Terravails are 2.2", so about 55mm. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
680 Posts

View attachment 1947457
sounds about right to me. I'm 250 lbs, and I tend to just run my tires max pressure always even with tubeless, which ends up being 65ish for 38mm and 55ish for 42s. At you're weight, I'd probably run my 38mm around 50ish. With the curly bars, I prefer a more firm PSI than I do on my MTB. For the ground you can cover on drop bars, I'd rather not risk a pinch flat 35 miles from my truck.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
@bitflogger - what PSI are you running when you have the 55mm on the 25 inner width rims? Just so I have a comparison…i know there's a lot to consider with weight as well, but just to see what you are riding at if you are on a rougher pavement ride? My Terravails are 2.2", so about 55mm. Thanks for the help!
The 55s are usually just over 30 to just under 40 and it seems like 2-3 psi difference between the rims and bikes. The wide variations are from carry weight and riding type. Both 48 and 55 mm Rene Hearse knobby models I have are or have been on more off road tour or adventure than gravel bikes.

Maybe what @Volsung said on feel funny is right. I noticed that 2-3 psi difference between bikes but there's a big feel element. On top of that I share bikes with my wife. She seems to like more inflation than I do but spends more time on harder surfaces.

If I had a point it's noticing the wider rims are great with little less air pressure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.