Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there

I just pulled the trigger on a Commencal Meta 5.20 -- my first FS and first 26" bike (coming from a 29" hardtail).

I have about an hour on it so far and it is VERY different...

Once I set up the shocks right and finally figured out how to bunnyhop it (totally different technique) I started to have fun.

I cleared a bunch of stuff I wouldn't have on the HT, and screwed up some stuff that the 29er would have sailed thru.

Anyways, tips for riding FS as opposed to HT?? Especially climbing, drops, jumping, descents, and all the good AM stuff (which is what I bought this for -- the 29er is my XC bike).

·
Registered
425 Posts
Congrats! I was first time on my Meta 5.2 last weekend too! I got it as Christmas gift but finally resolved the problem on the Formula brakes.
One thing I found different from my GF Sugar+ (steep head angle shorter travel FS) is the climbing position, the slacker head angle of Meta requires some adjustment of your body. I need to put weight to the front end and sit on the saddle nose earlier than Sugar when the slope get steeper, but once you do that, the rear wheel traction is great.
On the way down, I did screw up the first couple times of jumping, almost lead to a bad crash. But after a few more tries the body language started to dial in with the bike geometry, I feel I don't need to stay back as much as before and I can position my body in the center of the bike most of the time.
One more thing from hardtail to FS you need to get used to is you want to stay on the saddle more so in order to activate the suspension when downhill, at the same time minimize the bob when climbing.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Congrats! It's always nice to hear from another 29er rider who rides 26" too. I split time between an Orbea 29er and an Ironhorse 7point7. Sometimes it's like learning how to ride all over again, but it comes back quickly. You should be dialed in no time.

Other posters are right, sit more, be prepared to get further up on the front end when you are climbing than you would have to do on the XC bike.

I find that when I screw up a section on my big bike that I can clean on my 29er it's often because I approached it at a slower "hardtail" speed and then tried to finesse the 44lb bike the way I would a 24lb hardtail. It doesn't work.:p Add some juice to get the big rig rolling, let the suspension do the work, and trust that it will get you out of tight spots. It usually will!

Also, I don't know if you have any or not, but some lightweight shin/knee protection is fun to take along when you are doing "all the good AM stuff"!

Enjoy!

JMH

pinkheadedbug said:
Anyways, tips for riding FS as opposed to HT?? Especially climbing, drops, jumping, descents, and all the good AM stuff (which is what I bought this for -- the 29er is my XC bike).

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Arbuz said:
I agree. Attacking climbs on the Meta requires you to find your spot fast.
Depending on how your cockpit is set up to start with, it can also help to move the saddle forward a bit, can make a big difference on climbs, but also twisty singletrack, just positions your center of gravity in the middle of the bike. I've done this on all my MTBs, and it helped my steering.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.