Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone im new to this forum and i would just like to start out by saying hi to everyone...i am new to the mountain biking scene so i came here to hopefully help me improve my biking skills and my bike....i am currently using a 2003 Specialized Rockhopper that i got for a birthday present....ive already rode on it a couple of time but my fork (shocks) are too soft....i took it to my bike shop and they told me to change the coil inside, or change the fork....i dont know much about the shocks so im here to see if anyone can recommend or give me some advice on what i should do....my weight is 230lbs and im 5ft7in...yes im quite big but its not all fat mostly muscle....if anyone can help me out id really appreciate it....thanks in advance ron

·
Registered
79 Posts
Would need more info on the fork

but I am surprised the shop didn't offer to change out the springs (coils) for you. Was the bike purchased at the shop in question? If so they would (or should) charge you for the stiffer spring kit but not the labor at least. If they said new coils OR new fork it doesn't sound like they knew what they were talking about or gave you the brush off..

·
Registered
379 Posts
RonLMS1 said:
hi everyone im new to this forum and i would just like to start out by saying hi to everyone...i am new to the mountain biking scene so i came here to hopefully help me improve my biking skills and my bike....i am currently using a 2003 Specialized Rockhopper that i got for a birthday present....ive already rode on it a couple of time but my fork (shocks) are too soft....i took it to my bike shop and they told me to change the coil inside, or change the fork....i dont know much about the shocks so im here to see if anyone can recommend or give me some advice on what i should do....my weight is 230lbs and im 5ft7in...yes im quite big but its not all fat mostly muscle....if anyone can help me out id really appreciate it....thanks in advance ron
I'm not sure which fork you have, but it's either the Manitou Axel Comp or Manitou Axel Super. Either way, the cheapest route will be to have the springs replaced by your LBS (Local Bike Shop). The spring kit should be around $20-30 plus labor charges. Keep in mind that the new 04 Manitou Axel Comps could be had for under $130 so replacing the springs could come close to the price of a new lower end fork. If you plan on getting serious into this sport, you might consider getting a better fork. The caveat here is that even if you do get a better fork you will need to get stiffer springs for those as well, unless the it is and air sprung/assisted fork. Most forks are sprung for riders weighing ~150 -160 lbs.

Sorry about the rambling, but what it boils down to is, I think you should replace the springs and ride those shocks until they break and get something stronger and more geared towards your type of riding.

Duc

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lotusfinger said:
but I am surprised the shop didn't offer to change out the springs (coils) for you. Was the bike purchased at the shop in question? If so they would (or should) charge you for the stiffer spring kit but not the labor at least. If they said new coils OR new fork it doesn't sound like they knew what they were talking about or gave you the brush off..
the fork i have now on the rockhopper is a Manitou Axel Comp....its too soft and my cousin who rides more than i do said that it bottoms out from time to time...i really dont know what that means but i know if a car bottoms out its not a good thing so im guessing its not good for a bike either....the bike shop i bought it to did recommend me to change the springs and they want me to go back so i can be fitted for one, they did offer to install it for me but they didnt say anything about the charges...i dont expect it to be cheap cause not much people bike in this area...we are too inner city and there isnt much places for us to ride...but he also said that if i wanted to spend more money i can get new forks....i dont have alot of money now so i want to go for the spring change...my question is that will it make it stiffer and hold my weight up? thank you for helping me out

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
duc135 said:
I'm not sure which fork you have, but it's either the Manitou Axel Comp or Manitou Axel Super. Either way, the cheapest route will be to have the springs replaced by your LBS (Local Bike Shop). The spring kit should be around $20-30 plus labor charges. Keep in mind that the new 04 Manitou Axel Comps could be had for under $130 so replacing the springs could come close to the price of a new lower end fork. If you plan on getting serious into this sport, you might consider getting a better fork. The caveat here is that even if you do get a better fork you will need to get stiffer springs for those as well, unless the it is and air sprung/assisted fork. Most forks are sprung for riders weighing ~150 -160 lbs.

Sorry about the rambling, but what it boils down to is, I think you should replace the springs and ride those shocks until they break and get something stronger and more geared towards your type of riding.

Duc
thank you for your advice....and yes my current fork is the Manitou Axel Comp...but its the 2003 version...im new to mountain biking and i want to get into it so i dont want to buy all this nice stuff but not know how to use it...i just wanted to make sure that getttin a spring upgrade is better than buying a whole new fork

1 - 5 of 5 Posts