Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
the original
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I just moved to the greater Eugene area (living out in Veneta, working in the Westmoreland neighborhood) and have many questions for the locals.
First off, what are your ride reccomendations? I'll give anything from wide open double tracks to freeride a go but first and foremost I am a single track junkie.
What is there close in to town for that quick after work spin?
Any favorite epics?
Anything in the coast range between Veneta and Florence? Anything just north or south of Veneta?
My wife is starting classes up in Corvallis so Corvallis are reccomendations would also be much appreciated!

Next key topics, Any good group rides? I have heard of DOD. and I hope to make one of their rides soon.

Shop reccomendations? Any reccomendations for a good source for "vintage" parts in town?

I would love to hook up for "guided tours" over the next several weeks, so if anyone likes to play tour guide please drop me a line!

Thanks in advance for the advise and wisdom! :D

my email is [email protected]

thanks!!

J

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
MBO happens this weekend in Oakridge. See the top of the Oregon Forum page for links to his site. Many of the DOD folks will be local guides at this shindig.

There are some in DOD who are "shuttle monkeys", i.e. freeride style folks. A lot of us are self-described XC singletrack junkies.
Go to: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/DisciplesOfDirt/
to join the listserve and a link to the website, I think. This is where the larger rides will be posted. The website is usually a good general info site, but there's no formal calendar, as such. We promote responsible riding, trail maintenance, and good community relations, (not necessarily in that order). If you're looking for formal organization though, you have the wrong crowd. We just go out and do it.

When you join the group for "guided tours" it's the new guy/gal's responsibility to provide beer for the guides. If you fail to do this you never know where you'll be guided to, left for dead, etc. That's OK, we know where to come back to to get your bike. The vultures will take care of the rest;)
(Just kidding about leaving you for dead, but we are serious about the beer, no lagers, no cheap Budweiser/Coors type junk)

All in all the DOD is a good group of folks that like to get others out in the woods to play.

Flaps

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,319 Posts
Hey Dr J,

Davey Sprockett, King of the Wild Front Tire & DOD Founder here. I just read your post on the DOD listserve, then started to reply but found myself intimated and overwhelmed!

Too many questions! Too many answers! Whew!

Could you ask them one or two at a time, please? And speak slowly?

Thanks,
Sparty
AKA above

P.S. Hmmmm... do I smell beer?

P.P.S. Welcome to the Disciples of Dirt.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Most of the good riding is in the oakridge area, figure around 1 hr's drive to the trailhead. You can check out the website for the Willamette national forest for specific trail info. There's also the McKenzie River trail to the northeast, which is world-class. In town, there's a short but sweet city-run loop on the top of the hill whose name escapes me.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Mudflaps said:
(Just kidding about leaving you for dead, but we are serious about the beer, no lagers, no cheap Budweiser/Coors type junk)
He's not joking about the vultures though, I paddled from Corvallis to Albany on the Willamette on Friday and there were a bunch of them big ugly suckers out there on the banks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.