Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I MTB raced sport last summer (and have for many years) and have really been into cyclocross lately. Now I want to try something new and really want to do a solo 24 hour race in May. My cyclocross training was only like 5-6 hours a week so I feel like I need to switch gears quickly (no pun intended) and focus on base miles.

Is 6 months not enough time to prepare for this race? I just want to finish more or less. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You could finish one now, you'd just take more breaks than other competitors. Yes, 6 months is enough time. I'd look at finding a coach / training plan to focus your training energy, though. Guidance is a good thing when you're new to a disclipline.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
6 months is plenty of time to lay down a decent base and push your fitness level up to finish your 24 hour race. Essentially, depending on your available training time you just need to be efficient. If you can ride, ride for a reason, that reason being to achieve your goal of finishing the 24 hour race. Depending on time period and how close you are to event defines what your training should be.

Been pushed often, but still the best bang for the buck, especially for time limited athletes Sweet Spot Training

·
Registered
167 Posts
6 months of training and you should roll a great time. While your spending time on the bike also spend some time finding out what works for you as far as your nutrition. Your best effort will have alot to do with what you learn and do to fuel yourself before and during the race. Happy Trails

·
Registered
86 Posts
I come from an AR background, too. While they're similar in sleep deprivation, but that's the only thing in common. One thing that plays into it is most 24 hrs are singletrack heavy instead of the fireroads / pavement in many 24 and 36 hour races. It really takes alot of mental fortitude to keep yourself riding in circles for that long, and not having that next disclipline change to look forward too (breaks up monotony) or teammates to keep you going makes things tougher, for sure.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm from MI but live in WA. I learned to ride at Island Lake and Highland :)

Chainringgrrl- good point about the monotony. Hopefully I can ride next some people for company during the race.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.