Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
DownhillBAWS
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im new to this fourm and im looking to get into downhill. im 16 and currently have a giant warp ds1. i dont have alot of money to send and was looking to do a trade/money deal... what do you think would be good to start off with???

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you have no experience, Go to a lift-accessed mountain that you can take your bike to and ride down the easier trails. Once you get to speed and can handle that and are ready for more rough terrain, try renting a bike to try some more difficult trails. Keep looking on Craigslist.com, every now and then you can pick up a good DH rig for around 800-1500 bucks. I got lucky and picked one up for 300.
Are you looking to get into actual DH Racing, or just DH/FR for fun?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The fact that you are only 16 doesn't matter too much. Just work your way up to where you want to be: both with regard to what kind of bike you want and how you want to ride. You have to start somewhere. Save your money, go to school, get a good job, and chances are you'll have the money to do more of what you want to do. The trick for you right now is to continue to develop a love for the sport. That way when you are able to get a nice bike, you'll enjoy and appreciate it that much more.

·
DownhillBAWS
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have no experience, Go to a lift-accessed mountain that you can take your bike to and ride down the easier trails. Once you get to speed and can handle that and are ready for more rough terrain, try renting a bike to try some more difficult trails. Keep looking on Craigslist.com, every now and then you can pick up a good DH rig for around 800-1500 bucks. I got lucky and picked one up for 300.
Are you looking to get into actual DH Racing, or just DH/FR for fun?
As of now just for fun and I've done a little bit of doenhillinf I've mostly done xc tho and there is a mongoose pin's 2009 for sale for $700 should I look into that?

·
DownhillBAWS
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the guy already sold it.. i think ill look for a demo i might wait a year keep what i got and save up some money

·
Registered
150 Posts
the other player had some good advice, as the season ends (for everywhere but where I live) bikes tend to pop up. just keep looking. also look on craigslist at areas other than yours, you might find some good deals worth driving a little ways for. we drove 2 hours for my bike.

·
DownhillBAWS
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the other player had some good advice, as the season ends (for everywhere but where I live) bikes tend to pop up. just keep looking. also look on craigslist at areas other than yours, you might find some good deals worth driving a little ways for. we drove 2 hours for my bike.
thanks ive been lookin at new hampshire craigslist they have some good stuff

·
Registered
150 Posts
If your getting ready to buy something within driving distance, make sure you check things like how smooth the fork and rear shock are, how smooth it shifts, pedals, etc. One thing I've seen is that people will get over excited about buying a bike and get it even with a few things wrong with it. It's definitely good advice, even coming from someone younger than you. ;)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I started lift accessed riding when I was 12. The bike I started on was a 4 inch travel bike. I was able to ride all blues and most blacks at Mammoth. My next bike was a 2002 Big Hit Comp. 6.3 inches in the back 5 or 6 in the front. I got this around your age. That bike was able to handle the double blacks.

I guess my point is ride what you have until it limits you. This will allow you to figure what you actually want. A slack DH bike is probably awesome (I don't have one), but it limits where you will ride and the type of riding you do (probably only going to want to shuttle). An all mountain bike might be more what you are looking for, but you never know until you start riding.

Take your current bike to a bike park, see if it limits you, figure out what parts you enjoy the most, find a bike that will grow with you, and (the most important step) convince your parents that if they love you then you NEED the $1500 bike you found online.

Have fun

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
welcome to the forum.....honestly bikes will start getting cheaper and cheaper because people stop riding in some parts because of snow and also new 2012 bikes are starting to come out

·
DownhillBAWS
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if you were local i could have taken you to some nice trails around my area...
you should look for people to go riding with and like everyone else said you are just 16... just keep your love for hte sport and you'll appreciate your bike more when you can buy it yourself...
thanks.. where are you located?

·
Registered
494 Posts
i biggest suggestion is for your first full on downhill bike, buy used. simply cause if you buy new and sink a chunk of change you be afraid crash and scratch it. buying used and finding in good working condition will let you ride it and not worry over the cosmetics of something new and shinny. some of the best bike i've owned have been used with serious cosmetic wear. just two cents

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.