Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago I went downhilling for the first time in Winter Park, CO.
It was a good time but I wasn't too prepared. A few of my friends and I are going to Keystone in a couple weeks and I would like to take it a little more seriously.

We all race XC bikes arround the great planes but none of us have a lot of DH experience

To get the most out of our upcoming trip we should do what?

·
Registered
659 Posts
if you have the money, you could rent a full-on downhill bike, get some pads and a FF helmet and see how the other half lives!

You won't trash your current bike, you get to see the difference in how one of those monster DH rigs ride, and if you don't like it you are not wondering how to sell the entire setup.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My friend up there owns a bike shop and is gonna rent us iron horse sundays
should i ride clipless?

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you are used to it then definitely. Clipless riding has a side effect of creating bad habits. Most people will say not to use clipless, but if that is what you are used to, then there is no reason learning new stances especially when riding a totally different bike.

"Don't use any new gear on a race day."
But it isn't a race so w.e.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
My vote would be flats, but only if you get some time in on them before your trip.

For pure DH, clipless will work, but flats are nice to be able to ditch the bike (such as if you overshoot a switchback at speed...let the bike go and just sit down off the back). I always said I can unclip faster than I can fall, but in a DH situation it might not be true. (I rode clipless 100% for the past 7 years until last summer...now I alternate between clipless and flats.

You really need a few weeks to get comfortable on flats coming from clipless. For me, I ordered a set of flats and some dedicated shoes for riding flats (5.10's are worth it) and started practicing. The first few times may seem a little off, but its gets easier. If not, its a toss up on flats vs clippless for one trip.

Plus remember, it can be a little different clipped into a 40lb + DH bike versus a 25lb XC bike.

You can rent a full face helmet at most resorts...but do you really want to? You can get one for $60-$100 and don't have to worry about the last person who stuck their dirty head in it.

Leg and Arm pads are a must also. You can also rent or buy...

Lastly, even though I only ride DH a week a year, I have a 661 Assault Pressure Suite Its not that expenses <$100 and a lot cheaper than a trip to the ER. (There are better suites out there, but the 661's not bad considering the cost and how often you would likely wear it.) (I've had mine 4 years (with 2 weeks of riding in it) and its done its job clearly at least one time.

Bye the way, its a blast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.