Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just joined this forum and loving it so far...I recently picked up a Giant Iguana Disc (used from a friend) and I love the brakes (Avid Juicy Three), but I have a few questions...

- The rear disc is warped (right where it's warped, there's a white mark, I think it may have been bashed against a rock or something at one point, not overheated). Can I just bend it into shape? If not, what size/brand discs can I use?

- How do I check pad wear? What replacement pads work or what would you suggest I use when it comes time to replace?

- What sort of maintenance/regular checks/whatever should I be doing on these brakes?

Thanks very much,
T

·
Registered
187 Posts
you would need tools to bend back properly. Standard disc sizes are usually 160 but it will be written on the disc.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
- The rear disc is warped (right where it's warped, there's a white mark, I think it may have been bashed against a rock or something at one point, not overheated). Can I just bend it into shape? If not, what size/brand discs can I use?
You can just use your hands, as very little force is required to true a rotor. Search on PinkBike - I believe there was a Tech Tuesday at some point addressing just this issue.

Depending on how badly/severely warped it is, you may need to replace the rotor.

- How do I check pad wear? What replacement pads work or what would you suggest I use when it comes time to replace?
Look down through the caliper. You should be able to see how much material is left on the backing pads - probably time to replace when there is just 3mm of pad left.

- What sort of maintenance/regular checks/whatever should I be doing on these brakes?
Check the brake pads regularly for wear. Bleed the brakes when required. You will know (by the annoying sound) if and when a rotor is out of true. Otherwise, just ride.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I've always bent back my rotors with my hands. After getting it pretty close it will usually work its self straighter with more braking. Just personal experience though, I don't buy in to having to adjust bikes with surgical precision and custom built tools. Simple machines.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I agree. I have seen more damage done with tools than by hand. The tool tends to exert a massive amount of force in a small area, leading to over-correction and more damage. That is unless you are used to it and well practiced.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, thanks! Really appreciate the replies, I'll check on the pads when I get home...I tried to bend it back with my hands, seemed to work well enough when I got home from the ride yesterday...I'll try it a little more tonight and see what happens.

Also, any suggestions on pads? Any good tutorials on how to replace pads when the time comes? Thanks :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.