Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am installing brand new '06 160mm Avid Juicy 5s on my new 29er frame and I have just a couple of questions...

1. How much clearance should be between the caliper and spokes? It seems I have about 1mm on the front wheel. If the spokes flex they'll likely hit the caliper. It doesn't seem like I can make this clearance any better.

2. Should the same bracket used to mount the front be used for the rear? I bought two sets of fronts because I got an awesome deal on them. I am waiting on a longer length of hose before I can mount the rear. Just test fitting the rear caliper it seems as if it doesn't want to fit on quite right. I couldn't get the caliper low enough to line up all the mount holes for the rear.

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Jeremy

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well, I figured out question #2

I definitely need a new mounting bracket for the rear caliper.

how about the clearance question? is 1mm enough?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Yes 1mm is plenty...

if spokes flex they will usually flex in the middle or out toward the rim rather than in close to the hub. The hub and spokes near it is actually the stiffest part of the wheel. Don't sweat it. Most disc brakes won't have much more clearance than that.

Good Dirt

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did I forget to mention this was for a 29er? longer spokes and maybe more flex?

36H Velocity disc hubs laced 3X to 28mm wide Velocity Blunt rims with DT Champion straight guage spokes

I don't know if 29er spokes are more susceptible to flex or not really.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
It shouldn't matter...

you are still looking at the caliper being the same distance from the hub whether the wheel is 26 or 29". Some 29" wheels may flex more than a comparable 26", but like I said the flex is primarily from the mid poit of the spoke out toward the rim. Plus you are looking at a pretty stout wheel set, You shouldn't have any problem.

Good Dirt

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
If you're really worried about flex, you can use some rotor shims (syntace makes nice ones) between the rotor and the hub. And then recenter the caliper. This will bring the caliper out further.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts