Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am new to commuting. Long term recreational mtb'er but I have a new road bike for the commute. What I need to know is - what do I need gear wise to make the commute most effiecnet and enjoyable?

I have:
Road bike
Fenders
Lights
Ortlieb backpack
Rain jacket
Towel (the quick drying type)

What do I need?
Pants
etc

Work has no shower facilities either.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I usually take a shower before heading out on my 7 mile commute. I arrive a little early so my body can stop sweating and then I'll break out the baby wipes. There are so many brands of baby wipes out there so you'll just have to pick one that you feel comfortable with. Good luck and watch out for those vehicles. Ride defensively.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sounds Like you are all set

ChrisFFTA said:
Ok, I am new to commuting. Long term recreational mtb'er but I have a new road bike for the commute. What I need to know is - what do I need gear wise to make the commute most effiecnet and enjoyable?

I have:
Road bike
Fenders
Lights
Ortlieb backpack
Rain jacket

What do I need?
Pants
etc

What you have is a good start ... aside from your normal bike gear, I would not be going out and buying any new stuff to commute. Lights, fenders and waterproof backpack are a perfect start (I just picked up an Ortleib myself and they are great!) .. depending on how much it rains where you live, some waterproof overpants might be nice and maybe some shoe covers to keep your feet dry ... but I would go for a few test rides and see how it goes with your current set up ...

I had no showers at my last job, so I just did the whole wet towel thing with some deodorant ... no smells, no fuss ... My new job has showers and its all good ...

I have been commuting to work for 5 years now and I still get a kick out of watching the silly drivers stuck is traffic as I cruise to work on the bikepath :)

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I wasn't a regular commuter, but found the sponge bath thing limited as we had no shower either. I kept some good toiletries and a towel/washcloth for the cleanup at the office. I wore regular riding gear, with my work clothes in a pack, but in case of need had something nicer to wear stashed at the office in advance.

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
Tools, tube/pump, tire block..

One flat and your either walking or taking the bus home or to work. I also carry cash and transit passes so i have an alternative means to get to my destination. It sucks learning the hard way...

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
Lots of Blinky Lights and a Blaze Orange safety vest.....give drivers NO excuse for not seeing you if you get hit (which sucks BTW) :rolleyes:

Oh yah - obviously a helmet (duh..)

Edit: Stash an extra pair of chonies at work...I forgot mine 1 day and had to walk around the office in slacks commando style (ugh..)

·
Banned
6,678 Posts
ChrisFFTA said:

I have:
Road bike
Fenders
Lights
Ortlieb backpack
Rain jacket

What do I need?
Pants
etc

i've been commuting for some time and have learned the following:

depending on the terrain, a hybrid is safer and more comfortable than a roadie, also lets you carry more weight as i always do the shopping on the ride (stuff for dinner, etc)

i prefer paniers to backpacks...more comfortble and you carry a lot more...get to use the rack that they hang from as well...i carry two bungees to strap on the bigger stuff

i carry 2 tubes (twice i've had 3 flats in 1 day), a pump, small tool kit with allan keys, wrenches, screw driver, and chain tool)...the little clamshell fold up kind)

cotton work gloves to keep my hands clean when doing any repairs...tough to get the grease and oil off when you get to the office (but we have showers here)

keep a change of clothes at work...socks, underwear...everything We have laundry faciities here but its nice to change when it rains and your stuff is in the dryer)

lights, fenders, bell too

get a good bike lock and replace or bolt down any QR's

i wear nylon overpants in rain...not waterproof but keeps the mud off...and a waterproof bike commuter jacket, its a little longer and the sleevs are made longer as well to keep your arms dry when extended to the handlebars...flannel lined wind overpants in winter

i also prefer good bike gloves, you get a better grip especially in traffic if your hands sweat

you'll have fun and never drive again :)

·
almost there!
341 Posts
Pennzoil Bike Fix a Flat...

You might want to consider getting one of these, I haven't tried it yet but I've read good things about it, it might be useful on the way to work when you're in a rush:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100523&id=prod374783

I commute to work on bike too, but it's been too cold lately so I'm using transit.
I too have had those instances where you forget something like underwear, socks or your belt, all you can do is tough it, luckily I haven't forgotten anything big like pants!
As well I leave a pair of shoes at work since these take up a lot of room and can be heavy. If you don't find or want to use the Pennzoil Fix a Flat thingy, you could get a CO2 tire inflator so that if you get a flat on the way to work you don't have to spend a few minutes pumping up the tire (I carry these as well as a pump).

·
Sweep the leg!
3,803 Posts
my last job (minimal dress code, laboratory work) I had a locker with my work shoes, deoderant, toothbrush/paste, towel & soap. I would bring a few days worth of underwear, socks, shirts and a couple pairs of pants the first day of the week and take them home at the end of the week. Rainy conditions would eat up socks on the commute but snowy contitions were covered by wearing booties over my cycling shoes.

Bus money/pass, cell phone, tire/tool kit and taxi company numbers would be a good thing to have as stated above.

You'll develop a feel for what shorts/jersey to wear as time goes on but it's better to have one too many layers and shed it than be miserable if you don't have that jacket/tights.

and have a safe place for your bike and good lock. trust me, it sucks hard coming out of work to find your bike gone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.