Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi. i am a total noob to all kinds of biking. an older family friend gave his old bike to me recently and it's got me thinking that i'd like to have some fun with it.

i know nothing about gear. this is the bike i was given. gt bravado le. the front fork has suspension but otherwise i think everything else is stock. i also have the rigid front fork.

i know it's not the newest and best thing out there. but maybe this bike will open the door for me to become more interested in the hobby? is this an okay place to start? a good bike to still ride, even? everything on it looks mint, i was shocked to find that it was made that long ago because it all looks very gently used. feels great to sit on and cruise around my property.

obviously i need to go through and do some maintenance and i'm not worried about that very much. having the ability to commute short distances would be cool but i have no idea if that would be smart/worth it with this bike.

so basically if anyone cares to comment on whether i got a good deal as a gift or an old POS or some suggestions on getting started here would be great.

·
Dirt Bound
266 Posts
Sounds like a nice rig. Get it a decent tune up and ride.

I don't like to commute on a MTB, but hey, that's just me.

Hook up with the local riders and see if they have a novice ride.

Get a helmet, water and food, a tube and/or patches, and the stuff to fix flats. Even if you don't know how to fix em yourself, perhaps some unwitting fool will happen upon you, take pity and teach you how. I would, unless I was Stravaing. Then I'd be all like STRAAAVVVAAA!!! as I was coming up on you and possibly run you over.

Just have fun out there.

·
Registered
970 Posts
The best bikes are free. However spend a few dollars to have it tuned up. Nothing takes the gun out of a ride like. A bike that doesn't shift or one with brakes that don't work.

A helmet is a must. Let me repeat: A helmet is a must. A basic bike helmet will suffice until you start doing lots more stuff.

Any mountain bike can be used for getting around. It may not be as efficient as a commuter bike, but it will work ... And remember, it was FREE.

Ride in the dirt. Any MTB can go in the dirt. Don't push the envelope iin terms of gnarly trails, steep climbs or steep descents. Do climbs, descents, roots, rocks, etc. but not to fast. All of the developments in terms of suspension were to improve speen on such things. Any MTB can do those slowly and carefully. If you decide you really like it, you can change things and spend more money later.

Watch instructional videos on YouRube. Better is a beginner's skills class, but those often depend on your location.

Learn to change a flat. YouTube again. Being able to change a flat means not having to walk home. Flats are not too common, but happen.

I'm curious: you referred to riding around your property. Where are you that you have a suitable property. My property is big enough that I can ... do a track stand.

·
Registered
509 Posts
You were gifted a pretty decent mid 90's bike. It was the most expensive 4130 cromo offering GT had at the time I am pretty sure. If the bike rides alright then I would check the wearing rubber parts, and just replace those if necessary. Tires, tubes, brake pads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts