Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. As the title says I'm new to biking and am looking to get a bike.

Here's some quick background info:

I'm 38, white collar job, not very active, somewhat overweight (maybe 15lbs) and grew up riding motocross and bmx bikes a lot. I want to start riding to help get in shape and to have fun while doing so.

I live about 5-6 miles from a state park with a very good mountain bike trail system. I intend to ride the bike to these trails. Would you experienced guys recommend going with something like a GF Kaitai due to the road portion of my riding or would you get something more mountain bike oriented like a GF Wahoo or GF Marlin? Obviously, I'm not wanting to spend a fortune on my first bike.

I've talked to the local shops and am getting differing opinions. I'm just curious what anyone else thinks.

Thanks for the help,
Mike

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
A few thoughts...

mwike said:
Hello all. As the title says I'm new to biking and am looking to get a bike.

Here's some quick background info:

I'm 38, white collar job, not very active, somewhat overweight (maybe 15lbs) and grew up riding motocross and bmx bikes a lot. I want to start riding to help get in shape and to have fun while doing so.

I live about 5-6 miles from a state park with a very good mountain bike trail system. I intend to ride the bike to these trails. Would you experienced guys recommend going with something like a GF Kaitai due to the road portion of my riding or would you get something more mountain bike oriented like a GF Wahoo or GF Marlin? Obviously, I'm not wanting to spend a fortune on my first bike.

I've talked to the local shops and am getting differing opinions. I'm just curious what anyone else thinks.

Thanks for the help,
Mike
Thought 1: Go here and read the thread. Good advice: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=478402

Thought 2: A mountain bike can function as a hybrid/paved trail/road bike but a hybrid or road bike can't function as a mountain bike. If you intend to mountain bike, you should focus on a mountain bike.

Throught 3: Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yes, get the mountain bike if you expect to ride at LKN State Park or other trails in the region. The Kaitai will hold you back on the trails.

You wouldn't necessarily want a mountain bike to do long road rides (especially in organized groups), but riding to/from the trail on a mountain bike shouldn't be an issue.

Like a previous poster said, you can ride a mtb on the road, but you can't ride a road bike on the trail.

Welcome to mountain biking!

·
The Martian
1,200 Posts
IMO to actually ride offroad you NEED a mountain bike. Hybrids with wider tires work ok on groomed bike trails but are not the tool for the job on singletrack and even most fireroads.

If your road riding is limited to "to the trail and back" and maybe short casual jaunts shopping or around the neighborhood then a hardtail mountain bike is fine for that while still being fun and safe in the dirt. Heck I commute 15-20miles to trailheads on a 5 inch travel full suspension mountain bike; it's slower than my roadie but functions fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.