Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm relatively new to mountain biking gone on a couple trails and haven't been able to invest in my own bike just riding my friends with him but I'm ready to get more into it and just looking for suggestions on a basic bike for relatively simple trails around me no extreme terrain by any means and I'd like to keep bikes below 500ish if at all possible any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Go around to the bike shops in your area and ride different types of bikes to see what fit you like. Most bikes in the price range will have similar component and frame build quality. The important thing is to get a bike you love to ride, so you keep doing it. Ride different wheel sizes, and different geometries, ie head angle, seat angle, top tube length, bb height. Different manufactures use different mixes, so their bike feel different. Some of them will feel amazing, and some will feel just wrong. Find the one you like, then pick that bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I went to my local bike shop, was upfront and just told them I don't know much this about what I wanted to spend and they explained to me all kinds of things and helped me get set up with something I liked. My Local bike shop has a 30 day return so if I take it out and its not for me I can come back upgrade/downgrade or just return it for all my money back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I did make it to the LBS today actually already planned to before posting here thanks for the affirmation on that being a first place to go. Unfortunately they only carry Trek and Giant and had only 1 bike in my price range a Giant Revel 29er disk brakes Gregg the salesman definitely suggested a medium/17.5 for me. I personally want to have disk brakes but not sure about a 29er I have always used a smaller tire size what exactly are the pros/cons of a 29er vs 26? Also due to the lack of available options in the store I am considering purchasing online and could use suggestions on both sites for that lower end bike 500 or less preferred or even bike suggestions other than the Giant Revel. Yes I know that will potentially result in me not having as good a relationship with said LBS but I also want to have more options available to me before making that decision.

As for used bikes I have been keeping an eye on craigslist for a week or so now and intend to keep that up but at the same time I don't need that upper class bike as of now and am only planning as more of a recreational use once or twice a week not a daily thing nor will I need high end components for the terrain in the local trails so the greatest bang for buck deal on that end is not something I necessarily need but if its there I will definitely check it out.

·
Registered
323 Posts
29ers roll over obstacles better, provide better traction, are more stable. 26ers turn faster and are lighter.

Did you ride the Giant?

It is unfortunate that they didn't have either the 29er or the 26er Trek, because all three options would ride differently, the Giant, the 29er Trek, and the 26er Trek, which would give you an idea of which ride you like the best. I would usually recommend getting at least your first bike from and lbs, but is you only have one, and they only offer 1 bike that meets your criteria, and it isn't the right fit, then you don't have much choice but to look beyond the lbs. If your friend knows how to maintain the bike, and what the different numbers mean to how the bike will feel and handle, you may be successful with buying online.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Only briefly rode the Giant but it was also in a large frame while the salesman suggested a medium for me which they did not have in stock currently. That is the local store the next store is about a 45-1hr drive probably will make a trip up just a matter of finding time till the end of the semester.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the help everyone ended up finding another shop I didn't know about only 20 or so minutes away went in and the owner was selling his sons bike a 2013 Raleigh Talus 4.0 in basically new condition for 250 compared to the new version of it he also had in store, the 2014 bike that is, for 500. Last question anyone in the northeast Ohio area know of some trails, preferably near Canton, I only know of two.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.