Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm from Indiana and new to the bay area. I've ridden dirt/clay trails with my Trek Navigator 300 hybrid back there, but now that I'm out here I want to actually start mountain biking. Only hills in Indiana though!

What would be a good starter bike to get? I'd like to get a bike with full suspension for going 50/50 up and down hills, and spend no more than around $1,800. According to one of the guys at Mike's Bikes, I need to go with a woman's bike based on my proportions--I'm 5'10", long legs, long femur, and medium/shorter upper body. Although the Trek I ride is a 19" men's bike.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Womens bike??? He had to be pulling your leg. I think you're gonna get pretty much the same thing from most big manufacturers at that price point. The most important thing is getting a bike that fits properly. Which Mikes Bikes did you go to?

·
Uncle
4,365 Posts
http://bikeshops.mtbr.com/cat/united-states/california/CAT_6293crx.aspx

The shop reviews might be helpful in finding good LBS assistance. Let us know where you are, and we can suggest some places to look as well. If you're not a woman, you probably can find something that's not "women specific" built (many are the same frames as the non-women spec bikes anyway, minus the extra splashy paint and short stems).

Which bike? I'd say 2 things: Make sure it fits well, and make sure you don't spend a lot of money. This combo will be the best way to get started. You can always get something fancy down the road when you determine that you need something better, and well after you've determined what fits you well. Any other route will be either less enjoyable (due to lack of comfort), or more expensive.

Good luck and welcome to the area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for tips

I am woman, so a woman's bike isn't out of the question I suppose. Arm length takes into account on turns as well. So, yes I agree proper fit is key regardless if it's a man's or woman's bike. I'm living in the Fremont area, but went to a Mike's in Palo Alto.

I will check out the bikes suggested. Thanks for the welcome wishes and tips. Any suggestions on where I should start out for my first few rides?

·
Feral Roadie
735 Posts
I would at least make a trip to Passion Trail Bikes before you buy. They have a good demo program and more MTB knowledge than most shops. The place is kind of hard to find, but
worth the trip.

http://www.passiontrailbikes.com/

At that price range I would suggest looking for a used bike or waiting until the September sales start.

_ Booker C. Bense

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
expatrider said:
You can beat that deal by keeping your eyes peeled to chainlove and waiting patiently for it to show up for a couple hundy less.

but yeah, there are a ton of options for the OP and there are deals out there to be had if you have patience.

For most of the riding, and your description of where you are at with riding, I'd go with a xc oriented full suspension bike with about 4-5" of travel.

I also suggest passion for a great bike shop with endless knowledge.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,131 Posts
maleonardphi said:
Oops, bad assumption, sorry. +1 for stopping by Passion Trail bikes.
Ha, I thought the same thing. Gnar dude and the salesperson pushes a girls bike :D .

Seriously, look at a women's bike first. It is one of the big movements in cycling and companies that do women's bikes right should be rewarded.

And we're not talking about silly bike companies just do a bike in pink.

My wife is on her second women's road bike now and they are awesome. Fit, saddle, crank length, stem, handlebar and flair are all tailored for divas.

fc

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,164 Posts
The folks who live in the South Bay will have some good LBS recommendations. I think one of the MTBR folks just moved shop over to the Fremont/Milpitas area? I'm not where I can look up his shop info. Could be wrong though.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'd suggest 2 things. Possibly a hardtail 29er depending on your height. Specialized is making a female specific one now.

As for where to ride, China Camp in Marin is sort of the Bay Area bunny slope. Good single track that you can either bomb through or baby depending on your abilities. I think the Luna Chix do a weekly group ride there.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Santa Cruz has some serious price reductions this year. You can get a Juliana w/ a D XC Kit for $1499 at a R XC kit for $1899. SCruz has perfected the single pivot design and one of their bikes should last you a LONG time.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
+1

Haus Boss said:
Santa Cruz has some serious price reductions this year. You can get a Juliana w/ a D XC Kit for $1499 at a R XC kit for $1899. SCruz has perfected the single pivot design and one of their bikes should last you a LONG time.

The SC Superlight/Juliana is a great bike! It's my default recommendation: relatively inexpensive, light, durable, reliable, versatile, easy to tune and maintain, and good handling.

If it fits your physical dimensions, it's a solid choice. Just be sure to have the rear shock upgraded from the base Float to the RP23. From there, spend what you can on upgrading the wheels and fork from the base packages.

Happy trails, and good luck sifting through all the opinions you'll receive @ here on how to spend your money on a bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts