Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, names Jeremy I moved from PA to winchester about 7 months ago for a job' love the area just don't know where to bike. In pa me and some buddy's would hit 7 springs park a few times which is the only times I've done dh biking, I used to ride bmx and grew out of that I guess and grew an interest in full suspension bikes. Recently picked up an 07 ironhorse yakuza type r for a good price. I don't know much and don't know many people in the area, I am 23 have an interest in cars, bikes and anything else with wheels. Anyone in the area want to share some spots to bike please do so I would appreciate it!

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
I suspect there are quite a few mountain bikers in the Winchester area, but probably not active on here very much. You're on the northern edge of some of the best riding in the country, in my opinion. What you should do is get with some of the guys in the SVBC. I'm certain they have some members in your area. You can get with them on their facebook page if nothing else.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
There used to be a great trail system right in town but it was recently shut down. Now you're looking at traveling to ride. Places like Elizabeth Furnace in Front Royal, Fountainhead in Fairfax, Sherando Park near Stephens City are a few "local" places to ride. There's a lot of stuff over towards Martinsburg in Sleepy Creek State Forest, CaCapon State park near Berkley Springs, stuff in Hagerstown MD area, George Washington National Forest...you're just a couple hours from some awesome riding up in Davis, WV...so there's lots to ride, if you don't mind traveling. That's why I ride mostly road these days. BTW, I don't live in Winchester but I'm in town often. I live up in WV.

·
I live to bike
2,397 Posts
Stop in at Element Sports at 2009 S Loudoun St. We've got maps and brochures on places to ride.

Nubster listed a good number, but there's more:

Eliz furnace-rocky, tech
Cacapon-rocky, tech
Gambrill/watershed-rocky tech
Sleepy creek-variety of terrain
Vance's cove- variety
Andy guest park-smooth, fast

That's a start, I can tell you of more places to ride within a 1 - 1.5 hour drive

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
And further south " from Elizabeth furnace " into fort valley is miles and miles of Mtnbiking.......Duncan hollow, Kennedy's peak, Stevens trail, Mudhole gap, Powell Mtn to name a few.

Bryce for DH runs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow thanks for the help guys! If anyone is interested in getting together to ride let me know !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually live like 2 blocks from there always saw it never stopped in. I'll have to check it out!

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
If you like to talk all things cycling...make sure to go in when Gary is working. Guy knows more about bikes than any person I've ever met...super nice and will talk with you all day if you let him. He's a monster on the bike too. Super guy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts