Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved to Albuquerque about a month ago. I managed to get in a few rides before my Trek 4500 got jacked earlier this week (love this town already!). Anybody have a favorite LBS they want to recommend so i can get a new ride? looking to upgrade a little bit, if that's a consideration ($600 range). Thanks in adavance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ABQ Bike Shops

Two good ones are located across the street from each other on
Juan Tabo, just south of Indian School. Sport Systems and
Albuquerque Bicycle Center. There's also Two Wheel Drive near
the university on Central.

·
BOOST THAT SH*T!
785 Posts
djleonard said:
I moved to Albuquerque about a month ago. I managed to get in a few rides before my Trek 4500 got jacked earlier this week (love this town already!). Anybody have a favorite LBS they want to recommend so i can get a new ride? looking to upgrade a little bit, if that's a consideration ($600 range). Thanks in adavance.
I like the boys at Fat Tire on Montano.

·
Bad judgement in motion!
143 Posts
djleonard said:
I've found Northeast Cyclery to be quite decent, with reasonable bikes at reasonable prices: Menaul and Wyoming, or Montgomery and Juan Tabo.

Sportz Outdoor on Montgomery near Louisianna is a pretty decent crew, with a slightly unusual selection of bikes.

ABC (ABQ Bicycle Center) is hit and miss: the Juan Tabo location is okay, and the San Mateo location is okay if the right person is working.

And don't forget about REI near I-25 and Jefferson. Their "Novara" house brand are decent bikes on the cheap.

Skettio warned against Bike World. I think that the Bike World on San Mateo is the only one even worth trying. Try to get Mike to help you (older tallish bald guy). If the owner approaches, brace yourself. He's got an . . . interesting . . . manner about him.

Finally, like ABQDave mentioned, Fat Tire Cycles on Montano is good, though they seem to cater more toward the high end. They've got an impressive selection of bars and stems, though, for when you need to tweak that new bike's fit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oh Yeah

The guys at Northeast Cyclery are the coolest. I worked with Mike last week to troubleshoot my Sherman fork and ordered a heavier spring for my rear suspension. Mike even put me in contact with a Manitou rep. The service was excellent and they offered help if I got stuck. I'll definitely be going back for future needs.

Bike World is a joke, and I highly advise everyone to stay away. One of my biggest beefs is that they have no knowledge of moderately high priced $1500-$2000 bikes or the customers that purchase them.

I bought my Giant AC2 from them and the damper assembly went bad after 3 weeks. I bring the bike in and they have absolutely no clue on how to disassemble or even troubleshoot the fork. Then the fork sits in the shop for 6 days before they send it out. I get all of this tracking information from the Manitou rep when he forwards me the UPS info. On top of all this, these morons made me pay the $8 shipping charge for the fork. Then they try to feed me some bull$hit that Manitou wasn't going to warranty the fork. I'm like, "Oh Really, because when I talked to Manitou they never mentioned that"

Damn, I just drop $2K in your store and you can't eat $8 for a warranty repair. Maybe these crappy business practices are the reason these guys can't get any bike over $1000 off the rack. They just continue to deal the low-end bikes to the uneducated consumer.

You're right to watch out for the owner, I wanted to call the cops the last time I was in there. He reeked of alcohol and was cursing loudly at most of his employees. The guy has no class.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've got to put in a good word for Sport Systems. I moved to ABQ in January having already decided to enter the MTB world upon arrival and received lots of good advice from several people there. I bought my rig from them and have been back several times since, good experiences all around. Just my 2 cents, good luck.

·
Aim High
108 Posts
Niece to know somethings never change. My bike was stolen one month after moving here, and that was eleven years ago.
With a positive note, I did get to upgrade in the process and I hope some homeless got the transportion he needed to get a job.
Welcome to Albuquerque
Scott

·
Registered
502 Posts
My 2 cents....

TWD would be my first pick because Charlie Erwin (the owner) is cool and is a real mountain biker (though I think he does not ride so much any more). He was the brains behind the Ultra race series of the 90's that went on for 10 years straight back when we all rode hard tails. This shop is down to earth and the folks that work there are knowledgeable about what they sell and the trails they ride. No hype here just good honest service and buckets of spare parts to dig through if you have time.

You want hype? Go to Flat Tyre Cycles. They got hype, tatoos, body piercings, coughs, and eveything else that goes with the image. I have purchased three bikes through them and it is always tough to get the job done. You can count on one week being three and special order parts are guaranteed to be at least a month later than promised. To get the last bike I bought from them finished I ended up having to pull parts off the shelf myself. The bars I ordered came three months late, and then when I was called and told they were in, I went down to pick 'em up and they could not find them. Apparently one of the "managers" (not Stevie) took them home for himself. They have lots of cool stuff but they usually do not have exactly what you need if you are looking for a common part such as a 100 or 110 mm Thomson stem. Stevie gives me very good deals but I have to question the bother to worth ratio at this store.

ABC has a nice clearance rack for jerserys and shorts and they always have gloves and tires if you like Conti's or Special Ed treads.

Sport Systems: no opinion other than the fact that the owner cares more about talking about the stock market than talking about bikes or skis. See Charlie at TWD and he will talk to you about trails, bikes, and local cycling culture all afternoon.

Bike Wolrd sucks, big time. I once ordered an entire XT drive train through a bro that worked there. I did not get a good deal. One part was wrong - I forget now, might have been the front derailleur - and it needed to go back. The owner amidst puffs on his cigarette vehemently told me how I was paying return shipping on the lousy part. What kind of dick smokes cigarettes in a bike shop?

REI? - you wanna support some guy in Washington state? I support the locals. Shop Mountains and Rivers for your outdoor gear needs. No Homers or yuppie mom's in their Land Rovers fresh from the car wash fighting for front row parking spots there.

Bottom line is that I prefer it if the folks in the shop know more than I do about a product.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all your input, everybody. i spent the weekend driving around and riding quite a few bikes. i've decided to go with the gf marlin (or tass if i can convince myself to cough up the cash). this leaves me with, as far as i can tell, twd and sportz outdoors for dealers in albuquerque. i was about to ask you guys if you had a preference between those two but XTRKona seems to have confirmed my own thoughts for me. i really got a good feeling from those guys at twd. spent well over an hour chatting and test riding stuff over there and they were really generous with their time and advice. now, if i could just loosen up those purse strings a little bit... thanks, again, everybody

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sad to say alot of Abq. shops are full of idiots. I went into Albuquerque Bicycle Center with a blown rear shock four times and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Fat Tire took about 20 seconds. Steve and Tony have more knowlege than most any other shop. They cater to everyone, most importantly they can build you whatever bike you want and spec it right the first time. It's not like buying a Huffy, pure customization and great service. Bike World/City are the worst, REI/Sportz Outdoorz are overpriced and don't quite know enough info for me. So if this seems a little over the edge it might be, but I have spent thousands and Fat Tire for a good reason. As for Kona...They hook you up so much at Fat Tire...I got 400 off a frame I bought which took only 3 days for it to arrive. If I walk in they always have parts I need. Hype? Hardly anyone has tattoos, its a mom and pop store. Try finding another store that has the calibur of riders it does. Considering I built a bike there and it took 3 days to get EVERY part in...that is great service.

·
Bad judgement in motion!
143 Posts
XTRKona said:
You want hype? Go to Flat Tyre Cycles. They got hype, tatoos, body piercings, coughs, and eveything else that goes with the image. I have purchased three bikes through them and it is always tough to get the job done.
I haven't experienced that, but so far the only thing I've bought there is shoes. They positively ooze "mountain biker 'tude", though, and the owner is quick to spot and cultivate potential income. :) I don't mind. They're running a business.

XTRKona said:
I support the locals.
So do I. The OP, however, was asking for options, and REI is an option. IMHO, the REI in ABQ does a pretty decent job of giving back to the local community, so I don't quite put them in the same category as class-killers like Wal-* or *-Depot. YMMV.

XTRKona said:
Bottom line is that I prefer it if the folks in the shop know more than I do about a product.
So long as they don't get arrogant or condescending about it, which has been my unfortunate experience in TWD. Charlie is great, but some of the people he had working for him couldn't be bothered to give me the time of day once they figured out that I wasn't going to buy a $3000 bike on the spot. :(

Bottom line for me is to find a competent shop I can work with. All the knowledge in the world doesn't do me any good if I can't stand the staff (I'm talking in general, not about any particular shop listed above). Each person must find their own balance--it sounds like both you and the OP "clicked" with TWD, for example, whereas I did not. That's fine. There's plenty of shops to choose from. These days I choose to support my local bike shop, Spoke 'n Word Cycles in Socorro.

·
Registered
502 Posts
alizhan said:
These days I choose to support my local bike shop, Spoke 'n Word Cycles in Socorro.
Word up on the Spoke 'n Word. I stopped in there last spring to get some local trail beta and they just wouldn't stop talking. I must have stood there for at least an hour listening to the locals go on about techninal mining stuff because one trail we had been discussing took you by some old mine shafts. Nice friendly people but if I went back in there I would make sure and get in a ride first cuz if you are ancy to get going it could be a while before you get back out the door. Bring a cup of joe and a breakfast burrito.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Majestix said:
Sad to say alot of Abq. shops are full of idiots. I went into Albuquerque Bicycle Center with a blown rear shock four times and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Fat Tire took about 20 seconds. Steve and Tony have more knowlege than most any other shop. They cater to everyone, most importantly they can build you whatever bike you want and spec it right the first time. It's not like buying a Huffy, pure customization and great service. Bike World/City are the worst, REI/Sportz Outdoorz are overpriced and don't quite know enough info for me. So if this seems a little over the edge it might be, but I have spent thousands and Fat Tire for a good reason. As for Kona...They hook you up so much at Fat Tire...I got 400 off a frame I bought which took only 3 days for it to arrive. If I walk in they always have parts I need. Hype? Hardly anyone has tattoos, its a mom and pop store. Try finding another store that has the calibur of riders it does. Considering I built a bike there and it took 3 days to get EVERY part in...that is great service.
Another nod to the Fat Tire....though I'll argue the competency of the ABC employees with you...

·
Team Cspine
492 Posts
Second that...

djleonard said:
The guys at ABC up on Juan Tabo always treated me well and I never had any problems with them. When I rolled through there, all the guys on the floor rode but weren't condescending or anything like that, just helpful.

Up the street a ways at Juan Tabo and Montgomery is NE Cyclery where you can get a good deal on a Giant if you're so inclined just don't go back there for service! My buddy and I both snaggedngreat deals on bikes there. FYI - don't go the NEC down on Menaul, the guy that runs it is an $#@%*$#(*%$#hole (name withheld to protect the guilty).

Here's some advice based on my years of living in Albuquerque - if there's anything that belongs to you that's not nailed down (and some stuff that is), especially if it's nice, there'll be some ahole who thinks your stuff belongs to them. Seriously!! You've been warned!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
bulletbob said:
Here's some advice based on my years of living in Albuquerque - if there's anything that belongs to you that's not nailed down (and some stuff that is), especially if it's nice, there'll be some ahole who thinks your stuff belongs to them. Seriously!! You've been warned!!
As for getting bikes jacked - it happens. Keep them locked up and out of site. I never ever leave any bike out where it can be seen. Back when I was in school and rode to the UNM campus I would park my bike out on the back side, second floor landing of the Eng. building. Still not super safe there but it was out of sight from most and that is really the key.

Nothing is full proof though. I heard of a brand new Seven getting jacked from inside someones garage where it had been chained up.

And most importantly: make sure your bikes are insured for full replacement value and get pictures. Make sure they are pictures of really nice bikes ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
XTRKona said:
As for getting bikes jacked - it happens. Keep them locked up and out of site. I never ever leave any bike out where it can be seen. Back when I was in school and rode to the UNM campus I would park my bike out on the back side, second floor landing of the Eng. building. Still not super safe there but it was out of sight from most and that is really the key.

Nothing is full proof though. I heard of a brand new Seven getting jacked from inside someones garage where it had been chained up.

And most importantly: make sure your bikes are insured for full replacement value and get pictures. Make sure they are pictures of really nice bikes ;)
i can't say that my bike getting stolen was anyone's fault but my own. or my girlfriends, actually. she just forgot to close the garage door one night and, poof! but i did have renter's insurance for the replacement value, and i kinda wanted a new ride anyway. so i'm out the deductable, but that's not too bad.

and i was able to convince myself to go with the tassajara from two wheel drive. had to order it, but it should be in early next week. can't wait to give it a go next weekend,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.