Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I ride a Gary Fischer HiFi Deluxe 29er.

With spring seemingly on its way, according to the calendar at least, I need new tires, any suggestions?

Looking for something on the less expensive side. I ride single track always in the woods.

Also any discount sites to order from would be awesome. Thanks!

·
Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
1,080 Posts
If you're looking for cheap and somewhat aggressive, check out the Duro Switch tires. 29x2.35 for $14.99 each. Not super light, but they're cheap and mount up tubeless pretty easily.

Ninja Edit - they're on sale on Jenson's site.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,533 Posts
Riding in the woods can mean a whole lot of things. What type of riding are you going to be doing? Terrain involved? We need to know that kind of stuff to make some sort of recommendation.

For me, I live near Lake Tahoe and ride everything from rocky climbs, stairs, loose over hard, hardpack, sand, etc and all that can be in one ride include intense climbs and decents. For me the best combo I have found that rolls exceptionally fast was a Geax Gato (F) and Geax Saguaro (R) for most dry summer/fall riding. The one drawback of the Saguaro is that once you involve slick rocks, roots, wet stones (stream crossings) or the like then you lose traction on it quite easily. For that I replace with a Specialized 2Bliss Purgatory Control (my normal winter setup with the Gato on front). While a bit heavier and having more rolling resistance it does exceptionally well in just about anything I throw at it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Riding in the woods can mean a whole lot of things. What type of riding are you going to be doing? Terrain involved? We need to know that kind of stuff to make some sort of recommendation.

For me, I live near Lake Tahoe and ride everything from rocky climbs, stairs, loose over hard, hardpack, sand, etc and all that can be in one ride include intense climbs and decents. For me the best combo I have found that rolls exceptionally fast was a Geax Gato (F) and Geax Saguaro (R) for most dry summer/fall riding. The one drawback of the Saguaro is that once you involve slick rocks, roots, wet stones (stream crossings) or the like then you lose traction on it quite easily. For that I replace with a Specialized 2Bliss Purgatory Control (my normal winter setup with the Gato on front). While a bit heavier and having more rolling resistance it does exceptionally well in just about anything I throw at it!
Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I ride in New York so I soil is very compacted and rocky. There is lots of exposed bedrock in the park where I ride and roots are common. For the next few weeks mud will be a huge issue as we thaw out from this crazy winter.

Here are the specs of what I currently have:
Wheels

Wheels

Bontrager FCC front hub, Shimano M525 SL rear hub; Bontrager Mustang Disc 29 32/28-hole rims

Tires

Bontrager 29-2, Team Issue, 29x2.1"

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,533 Posts
Ok then you should be ok with those if they are the version that are more knobby. What you want is something like the GEAX Gato that has large, openly spaced knobbies which will help you shed mud without clogging the tread and allow you to grip on thos wet roots. Lots of stuff like that around from different manufacturers like the Maxxis Ardent or the Specialized Purgatory or Butcher.

You might be better off going to the shop you bought the bike from, tell them what you are riding and where and ask for recommendations on a better set of tires.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
If you're looking for cheap and somewhat aggressive, check out the Duro Switch tires. 29x2.35 for $14.99 each. Not super light, but they're cheap and mount up tubeless pretty easily.

Ninja Edit - they're on sale on Jenson's site.
How is the volume on those? Are they true to size?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts