Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
person
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using WTB Motoraptors 2.14 since winter on my HT. I'm about to go to an FS and was thinking about a bigger set of tires. The two I was looking at were 2.24 motoraptors and 2.25 Panaracer Cinders. Weight is kind of important cause I want an easier transition from the HT, but it won't be the deciding factor. I'm looking to build a capable 4''er trail bike. let me know what you think or if you have an other suggestions. Thanks again Dave

·
Registered
2,814 Posts

I'm running the 2.4 Motoraptor on the front of my 6" bike and it has great grip but it's a bit heavy at 775g and slow. While called a 2.4 it's really a 2.25 making it hard to justify the 775g. The best compromise I've found yet is the 2.4 Schwalbe Nobby Nic (also only a 2.25) but only 600g, they have found a home on both ends of my 5" bike at 30psi it's supple and has great lean in grip. The grip is similar between the two but the much lighter NN rolls faster and is lower profile than the Moto.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am very pleased with my 2.25 Cinder as a rear tire (haven't tried one in front yet). Conditions where I ride are typically dusty/loose/gravelly and the Cinder gets traction in the loose stuff anyway, hangs on where I wouldn't expect it to. Seems to be a good sticky compound without being especially soft/slow-rolling/fast-wearing. Maybe the dual-depth shape of some of the knobs is helping the Cinder hold on to variable/loose conditions. Anyway, I dig it. Meanwhile, a Timberwolf is superb up front in these conditions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.