Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering changing to a different tire and was wondering if what I have is the best for my uses or not. Right now I have Bontrager xr2s on my bike in the 3" wide variety. In general I like the tires as my bike does trails and some trips to the park or stop and rob. They don't really seem like a bear to pedal around and I don't feel they wore horribly even though I replaced them after using them for about 7 months.

The thing I don't like about them is any time I'm out on a trail and its wet the grip falls off considerably. I've been told I'm not really going to find a better all around tire. Thats fine if its true as well. I have no concerns keeping them if they are the best for what I'm doing.

I'm not really concerned about cost of replacing them more often, bike tires don't seem all that expensive. I may ride 30 miles a week on pavement at the moment, and I have no idea how far on trails however I try to get out at minimum every weekend.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I'm considering changing to a different tire and was wondering if what I have is the best for my uses or not. Right now I have Bontrager xr2s on my bike in the 3" wide variety. In general I like the tires as my bike does trails and some trips to the park or stop and rob. They don't really seem like a bear to pedal around and I don't feel they wore horribly even though I replaced them after using them for about 7 months.

The thing I don't like about them is any time I'm out on a trail and its wet the grip falls off considerably. I've been told I'm not really going to find a better all around tire. Thats fine if its true as well. I have no concerns keeping them if they are the best for what I'm doing.

I'm not really concerned about cost of replacing them more often, bike tires don't seem all that expensive. I may ride 30 miles a week on pavement at the moment, and I have no idea how far on trails however I try to get out at minimum every weekend.
Whoever said you won't find a better tire is ridiculous.

The XR2 is a great fast rolling hardpack/dry tire. A GREAT tire.
But, when wet, it IS horrid. I have them on my XC bike, and they slip bad when wet.
On that bike, I did a race in 2017, where I was concerned about the course wetness. So, I put on XR4s. Not as nice to roll, but far, far superior traction.

You could try an XR3, or an XR4 if you want to stay with Bontrager.
I happen to love my XR4s, and the XR2s (for the proper conditions)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not tied to any particular brand. I'll take a look at the xr4 as well as any other options folks have. Will they still roll reasonably on pavement?

I know the wet having less traction is obvious but it's not a loss of traction it's closer to no traction.

Just to add a thought Although my stache came with 29x3 I'm not tied to the width unless I have no other choice.

·
Super Moderator
4,967 Posts
I'm not tied to any particular brand. I'll take a look at the xr4 as well as any other options folks have. Will they still roll reasonably on pavement?

I know the wet having less traction is obvious but it's not a loss of traction it's closer to no traction.

Just to add a thought Although my stache came with 29x3 I'm not tied to the width unless I have no other choice.
XR4 rolls on pavement but will wear down the tread quite fast. It'll definitely grip better off-road in the wet than an XR2.

Take a look at Maxxis tires as well, while I havent ridden them myself I only read good things about the Forekaster and Minin DHF, though both only go up to 2.6" width.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.