Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had a kona fire mountain for a few weeks and its completely stock right now. im new to all of this and honestly the bike has been absolutely great so far.. BUT..
when im riding loser packed or gravel trails i find myself spinning my back tire quite a bit.. as well as slipping off of rocks and roots quite a bit.. steep uphills trails are brutal with the tire spinning...... if this is normal cool, but im thinking the "CST 26 x 1.9"'s need some upgrading? ive read the reviews but im baffled..
these caught my eye http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.ht...r Tire 2.1&style_id=320 PANFC3&offer=IN040MTD
but any input would rock thanx

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i think i rambled too much.

can anyone suggest a decent inexpensive XC tire for a n00b to the sport?
pref something thats kinda grabby on sand and roots and not made of lead and super slow?

· CB
48 Posts
I'm pretty new to this also but just put my order in for a couple of IRC Trailbears to replace my Kenda Kross. They seem to have a good rep. on these boards. I got them at Pricepoint also. Went with the 2.25s.......

· Premium Member
48,161 Posts
xrussox said:
ive had a kona fire mountain for a few weeks and its completely stock right now. im new to all of this and honestly the bike has been absolutely great so far.. BUT..
when im riding loser packed or gravel trails i find myself spinning my back tire quite a bit.. as well as slipping off of rocks and roots quite a bit.. steep uphills trails are brutal with the tire spinning...... if this is normal cool, but im thinking the "CST 26 x 1.9"'s need some upgrading? ive read the reviews but im baffled..
these caught my eye http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.ht...r Tire 2.1&style_id=320 PANFC3&offer=IN040MTD
but any input would rock thanx
The slipping is fairly normal. As your skills improve you will be able to control it better. Tires can help but they are not a substitute good technique.
The Fire XCs are a good choice.

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dont get me wrong, im not looking to skip learning proper technique... im just looking not to break my neck while learning.. i see good tires as a safety enhancement really (especially in some of the areas we've been going)

· Registered
1,477 Posts
xrussox said:
dont get me wrong, im not looking to skip learning proper technique... im just looking not to break my neck while learning.. i see good tires as a safety enhancement really (especially in some of the areas we've been going)
What tire pressures are you running? And as the previous poster mentioned, weight balance is key as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.