Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the bike for about two months and i am sick of the stock tires. I want to get new one in a 2.35 size. First question will the fatter tire fit without any problems and what tire should i get. I ride alittle of everything, from hard pack to sand stuff, to muddy and root covered hills.

Let me know what you think. I do not care about having a tubeless tire cause if i get a flat i'll be putting a new tube in anyway. So it should be light.

Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
I tried 2.35 nevegals for the back... I thought it left too small of a clearance(3/16in). So now I ended up with 2.1 Nev ust. rear and 2.35 nev. sticky e on the front. The 2.1 nev. looks pretty big and burly for its size.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am running the Kenda 2.35 Excavator on the back and there is plenty of clearance and traction. I have a Panaracer Fire FR 2.4 on the front, they both perform very well.

Nick

G

·
I'm a tubeless believer as well, but not UST (too heavy). Anybody know if the (non-UST) Conti's run OK with Stans? Some non-UST tires work great, other tires just plain won't. One of my all-time favorites, Panaracer Fire XC Pro, will blow right off the rim. Right now I'm on my 3rd set of IRC Mythos, and have never had a problem (knock on wood). Bontragers work fine too. I'd love to try some others, but the Panaracers have me kinda spooked.

·
Registered
710 Posts
tahj33 said:
I'm also looking for tubeless tires as well...any sugestions?
I have been running 2.1 UST Maxxis Ignitors on my EX8 and have been happy with them. They are smaller then most 2.1s though but they are pretty light for a UST. They roll well and seem to be a good all around tire. I am thinking of trying a bigger tire up front and leaving the ignitor as my rear but haven't gotten around to that yet.

G

·
I am looking for non-UST tires that I can mount with Stans. The non-UST IRC Mythos that I'm running now feeel sooooo much better than UST's I've tried. Any suggestions? The Mythos are OK, just not great. (cheap, though!)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Panaracer Rampage 2.35

I've had the Panarace Rampage 2.35 on my 07 Fuel EX7 for almost a year now (front and back). These tires are the BEST trail tires I have tried:

-True size, measures 2.38 at the widest (on DTSwiss 5.1d rims), Fits perfectly on the Fuel EX with no rubbing issues.
-Light weight, weighs 700 g per tire.
-Fast Roller, climbs fast and easy, hardly any drag
-Durable sidewalls and knobs, Gone down the Mt. Wilson Shuttle to El Prieto several times without a flat, sidewall tear or missing knobs.
-Snake bite protection, this works, usually run 28 psi in front and 30 in the back, no problems.
-The rubber compound has a good combination of excellent grip, descent tread life, and predictable handling.
-Stans no tubes certified.
-Made in Japan.

Highly Recommended!!!:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Hardcore, in my own way.
121 Posts
I threw on Conti Mountain King Protection on my '08 EX8. 2.4 in the front and 2.2 in the back and I really like them so far. They roll well and are super grippy on the ground. Great combo. I agree that it is funny that the tread does not have as an aggressive look to it but still outperforms other tires.

The only issue I have run into is that my rear does not track as well on angled, sharply uneven ground/roots/rocks. Instead of gripping over it, it just slids out. Could be the 2.2 size - I have considered going to the 2.4 instead. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
76 Posts
After almost 400 miles on my Fuel EX with 2.2 (front & rear) Mt. Kings (tubeless) I’d give them a thumbs down.

First the good; The Mt. Kings are light fast and work great for climbing in dry rocky situations. They’re also good on hard pack dry terrain, and I was totally sold on them during my initial rides.

The bad; Even if it’s a situation where I’d rate them good, like hard pack, these tires don’t inspire confidence for high speed turns they slip, slide and stutter through demanding high speed areas, and challenging downhill stuff (rocky, rootty, slick and steep) make sure you take it down a notch because they’re unforgiving and won’t make up for any mistakes you make that might need more traction. The Mt. Kings look like they’d be great in mud but aren’t. They clear the mud fine but slip and slide like they’re loaded up. During a team 24 hour race where it rained for the first half, needless to say leaving the course muddy and very slick over much of the challenging terrain, I was so tentative because of traction issues that I ended up changing my front King out for a 2.3 WTB Werewolf, a tire a ran last year, and wish I had another to put on the back.

When my rear Mt. King wears out I’ll put on an IRC Notos or a 2.1 WTB Werewolf. Both tires are great for many riding conditions the IRC being better at clearing mud and muck.

Good luck with your decisions, sorry to add to such a confusing and challenging issue!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.