Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 Cannondale M700 that I haven't ridden in at least 25 years. I want to start riding it again but before I do that I want to (need to) replace the tires and tubes.

Question: Will the 26" tires sold today fit my older rims okay? Rims are Ritchey Vantage Comp.

Thanks,
Steve/NH

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
any 26" mtb tire should fit your rims. your frame and fork will limit how fat a tire width you can get on that bike. A bike of that vintage will likely work with a 26x2.1 tire but not much wider. if you're riding mostly on roads and smooth paths, a slick or file-tread tire will likely be lighter and quicker.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies, I didn't want to order them without checking first. My riding will be mostly on pavement and hard packed dirt roadways.

It has 26x2.1 tires on it now, and I am looking at urban type tires to smooth things out a bit and that will also do okay on hard packed dirt.

I take good care of my things, and even though the bike is 28 years old it looks new. New tires and brakes, a good cleaning and lube and I think I'll been good for a while.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sounds awesome! I personally like Panaracer Pasela 26x1.75 for more road and light gravel duties. Although I did just get some Panaracer Gravel King SK 26x2.1 which is a micro-knobby tire and I’ve been really enjoying the more confident feel off-road. Plenty of good options out there though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts